Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Bali—A Curmudgeon’s Return to Ubud

INDONESIA | Saturday, 30 December 2023 | Views [72]

Dressed for Success, Taman Saraswati

Dressed for Success, Taman Saraswati

“NO MAN EVER STEPS INTO THE SAME RIVER TWICE, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.” What Heraclitis said 2500 years ago is true today, especially for us and Ubud. When we first visited in 2009 I wrote Ubud is the other part of Bali and some say it is where the real Bali begins. Like Luang Prabang it’s a wonderful place to do very little.  It is touristy, for certain, but it still feels exotic.    

nn

                A winding road to Ubud

As Ubud has changed, so have we. No longer the budget-minded, recently-retired, wide-eyed globetrotters, we are older, experienced, financially independent and somewhat jaded. First-timers will find Ubud as charming as we did but after 20 years and 170 countries we’ve earned the curmudgeon’s right to say, “Yeah, but you should have seen it back then!”

nn

                 It must be down here somewhere

 nn

                     Ubud Sunrise

Villa Batu Agung has zero kerb appeal. It is about 5km south of the action down a narrow alley a block off the main drag, exactly what we wanted! The villas are further downhill clustered around the pool. Our room is spacious, air-conditioned with satellite TV, wifi and a large en-suite bathroom—$75 per night with breakfast. It is surprisingly quiet and peaceful even with the Hindu temple a few doors away.

nn

 Rice Terraces: Sapa, Vietnam            Longi, China                        Banaue, Philippines

Today appears to be a Balinese Hindu day of blessing for valuable things—especially cars and scooters. Cars were festooned with palms and offerings and nearly every scooter had some sort of token. Even Pak Karma’s Toyota had garlands and palms tied to the mirrors when he picked us up this morning—the blessings and good Karma should keep us safe. 

nnn

                  Tellalang Rice Terrace

nn

              A Ray of Sunshine

We haven’t had very good luck with terraced rice paddies and—it was pouring rain when we visited the terraced rice paddies in Sapa, Vietnam; the Dragon’s Backbone terraced paddies in Longi, China fell short of our expectations; only the rice terraces of Banaue, Philippines were worth the effort—so we decided to give the Tegallalang Rice Terraces, a go. Can you say, “Tourist trap?” 

nn

            Japanese Girl having and Instagram Moment

n

                        Another Roadside Tourist Trap

nn

 

              A real rice paddy

Tegallalang Rice Terraces are just another Disneyesque experience. I guess we should have known—if the huge restaurant, “I Love Bali” sign and the giant swing weren’t hints enough, anyplace that’s part of an “Instagram Tour” has to be suspect. 

nn

                 Look what the Civet Cat Shat

We declined the free cup of Kopi Luwak, that coffee made famous by Jack in “The Bucket List.” If you missed the flick, it is brewed from partially digested coffee “cherries” which have been eaten and shat by Asian Palm Civets. Probably not your morning brew from Starbucks.

n

                  Lotus pads and Taman Saraswati

nn

                  Temple Offerings, Taman Saraswati

nn

                  Carrying offerings to the Hindu gods

Back in Ubud, Pak Karma dropped us at Taman Saraswati, the Ubud Water Palace, promising to pick us up when we “whatsapped” him from nearby Pura Dalem. We paid the 50,000 IDR and donned the mandatory sarong and tunic . . . as if we weren’t hot enough already. We long ago gave up trying to understand Hinduism—we just go with the flow and enjoy the scenery. And while Taman Saraswati looks like it’s from Golden Age of Hinduism it was built in 1952!

n

                Pura Dalem, Death Temple 

nn

    Pura Dalem is Closed today—due to a death in the family??

We felt pretty stupid asking directions at Tourist Information for Pura Dalem—it was just next door. And it was closed! Perhaps it’s just as well, Pura Dalem means Death Temple! Even Pak Karma was surprised when we called for our ride home.

 

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.