Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Four for the Birds—Adelaide's Birding Hotspots

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 20 November 2023 | Views [74]

Koalas spend 20 hours a day sleeping, Woorabinda Bushland Reserve

Koalas spend 20 hours a day sleeping, Woorabinda Bushland Reserve

THERE ARE SEVERAL BIRDING “HOTSPOTS” not far from our base in Adelaide. Not all were easy to find, Adelaide International Bird Sanctuary was barely accessible and Barker Inlet Wetlands along side the busy M2 highway was most definitely urban. But with Connie’s ability to massage eBird data, Izzie’s keen GPS sense and a little bit o’ luck we were surprisingly successful.

b

    Whiskered Tern; Adelaide International Bird Sanctuary

n

                       Red-kneed Dotterels

Adelaide International Bird Sanctuary National Park is, quite literally, for the birds. Most of the property is posted so we were restricted to the road. Our first sighting was a Whiskered Tern, actually dozens but John could only get one in reasonable focus. Red-kneed Dotterels, a new species for the trip—how do ornithologists come up with these names?—as were a pair of Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. Farther up along the mangroves we got a good look at the Australian Crake. But the surprise of the day was the Spotted Scrubwren, a shy and skulky bird John was lucky to photograph. 

n

                        Sharp-tailed Sandpipers

n

                         Spotted Scrubwren; Adelaide International Bird Sanctuary

We shared Barker Inlet Wetlands with dozens of bikers and thousands of flies while trucks cruised by on the M2 motorway. The Blue-billed Ducks Connie had hoped were MIA but we watched a Pied Stilt mind her three gawky chicks.

n

         Barker Inlet Wetlands

b     n

      Pied Stilt . . .                                 and Chicklets

A Black-shouldered Kite fought the wind overhead at nearby Greenfields Wetlands while Australian Pelicans cruised the lake. Just s we were ready to drive off, Connie spotted her prize, the Australian Crake.

nn

                      Black-shouldered Kite

n

                            Australian Crake

Our final birding stop, Woorabinda Bushland Reserve, was the most scenic and enjoyable spot and the most productive. We finally got a photo of the male Western Whistler which we first glimpsed near Port Lincoln. Other good sightings were the Yellow-faced Honeyeater, Eastern Spinebill and cute Red-browed Fantail. 

n

                             Western Whistler, at last!

n

                             Yellow-faced Honeyeater

n

                             Eastern Spinebill

n

                        Red-browed Finch

The Adelaide population of Crimson Rosellas is likely to be “split.” It isn't a big deal for the birds but it will add a new species for birders to tick off. Now Connie has the photo to document her sighting, when and if. 

n

                       Crimson Rosella, Adelaide branch

The highlight—our first Koala of the trip. He (or she) was catching up on its daily 20-hours of sleep and didn’t notice John sneaking through the brambles for a photo. His scratches will heal and he says that the blood shed was worth it.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.