Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Of Kangaroos, Lorikeets and Blue-Billed Ducks

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 22 November 2023 | Views [84]

Kangaroo

Kangaroo "doe" with "joey," Myponga Reservoir

IF OUR ACCOMMODATIONS CONTINUE TO IMPROVE at this rate they’ll rival Mar-A-Lago by the time we reach Melbourne! Christie’s Beach comes with everything except good weather—three bedrooms, 2½ bathrooms, a great kitchen and even a barbecue. 

b

              Christie's Beach raises the bar again

n

                         A little touch up before returning the car

b

                           It's pretty . . . for a Tank

We returned the Toyota hybrid to Adelaide on Tuesday and picked up our new ride. I think our windshield chip repair and touch-up paint went unnoticed. The young guy at Thrifty probably thought he was doing us a favor by upgrading us to a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross; or maybe he just wanted it returned to Melbourne—it has a Victoria registration. Nice as it is, it’s like driving a tank and we will be making many more stops for petrol—the Corolla got an incredible 55 mpg!

b

                       Australian Swamphen 

n

                 Australian Darter

There are several birds in the area on Connie’s hit list, some for whom we need photos and others, like the Purple-Crowned Lorikeet that will be new. Some had been reported at Brodie Road Wetlands, a wonderful park with wandering trails, a pond and towering gum trees not far from our place. 

n

             Musk Lorikeet—"Right Church, Wrong Pew"

Our task would have been easier if the weather had cooperated. Morning temperatures in the 50s are tolerable even in sandals; spotting mostly green parrots in a green gum tree on a windy day is more than problematic. Even when you see them fly in they have a habit of vanishing immediately. To make things harder, most of those flying in were Musk Lorikeets—but as a friend likes to say, “Right church, wrong pew!” Even with the wind the Australian Swamphen and Australian Darter stood their ground for a photo.

b

                    A haven for Kangaroos, too

nn

                    Baby on Board 

n

                         A 'Roo on 'Roids?

It was blustery and cold on Wednesday with a  threat of rain when we arrived at Myponga Reservoir Reserve. A few Blue-billed Ducks had been reported but there was no mention of the kangaroos—hundreds of them! Several of the does had joeys in their pouches hanging on precariously as mom hopped away. A group of ‘roos is called a mob and is headed by a buck, and this big boy was really a stud!

n

                      Ms. Blue-Billed Duck

nn

 

                            Brace of Blue-Billed Ducks

b

                         Australian White Ibis

n

                           White-necked Heron

b

 

                                   Royal Spoonbill

We walked the entire length of the reservoir before we saw our first Blue-billed Duck with her tail held high. We counted four females and a few males far out on the water. There were hundreds of Black Swans, a dozen Australian White Ibis, several White-necked herons and Hoary-headed Grebes and a single Royal Spoonbill on the far bank.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.