Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Historic Port Adelaide

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 19 November 2023 | Views [112]

Port Adelaide

Port Adelaide "Wonderwall" by American muralist Amanda Lynn

WE ARE BACK TO CIVILIZATION, for whatever that’s worth. Both Ports Augusta and Lincoln are actually small towns with fewer than 12,500 residents and hardly count. Now Adelaide, where we are resting our heads, is a real city! One point three million! And we are in a real AirBnB with a great kitchen where John can display his culinary skills—Chicken Paprikash tonight!

n

                      Everything's Comin' Up Roses at our AirBnB

Our AirBnB is actually nearer to old Port Adelaide than to the City Centre. From the 1860s for nearly a century, Port Augusta was a thriving town with a library, a museum and lecture hall. Gas lights lit the streets at night and in 1881 an electric power plant was opened.

n

                 A once thriving port lives again

n

                Ghost of the past, last Steam-powered Tugboat in Australia

n

                 Old Lighthouse, Port Adelaide

Port Adelaide continued to thrive until the the introduction of “containerization” in the 1960s. As the economy declined from its heyday, parts of the city became derelict and many shops were boarded up. In 1982 much of the city centre was declared a State Heritage Area and today it has some of the oldest and best preserved colonial buildings in South Australia. 

n

            Town Hall, 1866

m

                       Historic Railway Hotel, 1856 

m

            1860s Police HQ

We learned much of this from the woman at the Information Centre. She is originally from Germany near where John was stationed (when she was just a child, haha!) and told us how she followed a boyfriend here—and stayed. Her middle name, coincidentally, is Adelaide! 

n

          "Fairywrens," our favorite "Wonderwall"

m

            Wonderwalls, a decorative spur to the economy

m

                         Wonderwall in Black and White 

She also gave us a map for the Wonderwalls. Begun in 2015 as a way of revitalizing underutilized areas of the city and attracting tourists, 20 artists from around the country and around the world were invited to paint murals on otherwise blank sides of buildings. Wonderwalls has become an annual event resulting in some truly impressive city art.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.