Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Ikara-Flinders Ranges NP—Wilpena Pound

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 1 November 2023 | Views [65]

Wilpena Pound from the Air (photo from the Internet)

Wilpena Pound from the Air (photo from the Internet)

WILPENA POUND IS THE CENTERPIECE of the Park. Although it looks like a volcanic crater it is really a natural amphitheater formed by two mountain ranges. (Don't ask how, we're not geologists!) The more intrepid can hike or backpack to the rim, 13.5 km each way but Wilpena Pound is best viewed from the air. Or for a lucky few, from orbit in the International Space Station!

n

                           Wilpena Pound as seen by a lucky few (NASA photo)

Numerous Internet searches suggested that the Aboriginal word Wilpena means “cupped hand” and the English word pound can also mean “an inclosure.” It makes sense but we won’t vouch for its veracity. It is the Internet, you know. In 2016 the park was renamed to include the Adnyamathanha word, Ikara, "meeting place", referring to the traditional name for Wilpena Pound.

n

                 A cool start on the Wilpena Pound Trail

We are no longer intrepid, hate small planes and hardly meet NASA standards so we walked the Wilpena Trail 4 km to the lookout. It was cool in the shade of the towering eucalyptus at 8:30AM—downright chilly when the wind picked up—but we had the trail pretty much to ourselves. As usual, Connie stopped along the way for every bird call, scanning the bushes for her targets, the Elegant Parrot and Redthroat. John’s job was less specialized—just take photos of everything that moves! He claims he isn't really a birder, he is just attracted to bright, shiny objects!

m

                     Grey Butcher Bird

m

                   Purple-Backed Fairy Wren

n

                         Laughing Kookaburra

We were surprised by the amount of water along the trail. The lower sections had an abundance of springs, seeps, puddles and ponds; great places to look for birds. We did see the Redthroat but John was too ashamed to post the crappy photo he took.. In his defense, Ms Redthroat was not in a cooperative mood. A Grey Butcher Bird, Purple-Backed Fairy Wren and the iconic Laughing Kookaburra were more hospitable!

 

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.