Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Ikara-Flinders Ranges NP—Arkaroo Rock Art Trail

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 31 October 2023 | Views [80]

Sunrise on the Flinders Ranges

Sunrise on the Flinders Ranges

THIS MORNING’S SUNRISE WAS SPECTACULAR, almost making the early start from Quorn to the Park seem like a good idea . About 100 KM of being alert for roos on the road later, we slowed to 20 mph while three hippity-hopped across the road ahead of us.  A fourth roo crossed behind us , giving the car a thump with his tail as he passed. No damage to either the car or Mr. Kangaroo.

bb

               Aboriginal Art in Carnorvan National Park, Queensland

b

                     John ascending the Arkaroo Rock Art Trail

We weren’t drawn to the Arkaroo Rock Art trail by the pictographs—we have seen more extensive and detailed Aboriginal rock art at Carnarvon Gorge in outback Queensland. No, we were searching for birds again—primarily Mulga Parrots—the pictographs were a bonus.

b

                              Male Mulga Parrot, Flinders NP

The trail was great, meticulously sculpted around the hillsides with carved steps up the steeper sections. It was just over three kilometers long and we wished it were longer. The pictographs themselves tell the Adnyamathana Dreamtime story of the creation of Ikara, the native name for Wilpena Pound. A screen that protects the alcove from vandalism meant that Connie had to use her iPhone for photos. 

b

                 Dreamtime story on Rock...

n

          ...A Best-Seller 5000 years ago

With all of our stops for birds it took us longer than the suggested two hours but we aren’t complaining. In addition to eight Mulga Parrots and an un-photographed Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby, John got photos of several species of Honey-eaters and a beautiful Red-capped Robin back at the parking lot.

n

                         Grey-fronted Honeyeater, Flinders NP 

n

                        Yellow-plumed Honeyeater, Flinders NP

b

                        Red-capped Robin, Flinders NP

We stopped for lunch at the waterhole the Ranger told us about and watched a Euro Kangaroo drink him fill from the pond, something we had never seen before nor ever even contemplated!

b

                           You can get pretty thirsty hopping around all day

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.