Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Welsh Castles of Edward I

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 23 April 2023 | Views [121]

Graffiti from 1666, St. Mary's Church pew, Conwy

Graffiti from 1666, St. Mary's Church pew, Conwy

WHEN ENGLISH KINGS WEREN’T MOUNTING a Crusade or at war with France, they kept themselves in shape by battling the Scots or the Welsh. Decades before he dealt with Scots William Wallace and Robert the Bruce, Edward I, who succeeded  his father Henry III, went a couple of rounds with the Welsh.

n

                 Harlech Castle

n

                 Unfinished Beaumaris Castle

Eventually victorious, Edward began a program of colonizing Wales by evicting Welsh peasants replacing them with English settlers. To ensure the security of his new territories Edward planned to surround Wales with a “ring of stone,” 17 stone castles were constructed in strategic locations. It sounds impressive until you realize that Wales has 427 castles, the most per square mile in the world

m

                Conwy Castle dominates the Conwy River 

Four of Edward’s remaining castles are now World Heritage sites. Three of them are within striking distance of our place in Llandudno Junction. We had visited Caernarfon Castle in 2012 and added three others this week. With so many castles to choose from only the wonderful Conwy Castle seemed worth the £9 admission fee even with our 80p senior discount—Beaumaris Castle was never completed and Harlech is undergoing some repairs. 

b

                    Medieval Conwy

n

                   Built in 1588

n

                 Welsh Tulips

Edward really went overboard on Conwy. Conwy Castle and its eight towers dominate an important crossing point on the Conwy River. The castle is connected to the city walls that encircle the medieval town. But Edward wasn’t finished—he replaced the Welsh residents with English settlers loyal to him.

n

              St. Mary's Church, Conwy

                Stained Glass and Choir, St. Mary's Church

 

n

                  St. Mary's Church, Conwy

Back among the 16th Century buildings of Conwy, we “discovered” the 13th Century St. Mary’s Church hidden behind a narrow gate. Originally a Cistercian monastery, St. Mary’s has been the spiritual heart of Conwy for 850 years. While the stained glass windows are not original, the 15th Century rood screen is said to be among the best in Europe. But it was the initials carved into a pew in 1666 that caught my eye. Boys will—and always have been—boys.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.