Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

¿Mallorca or Tenerife—Why Choose?

SPAIN | Sunday, 26 March 2023 | Views [114]

Farewell and Adieu to you Spanish Islands

Farewell and Adieu to you Spanish Islands

AS WE BID “ADIOS” TO SPAIN, it seems natural to compare our time in Mallorca to our stay on Tenerife. Both islands are holiday destinations for Spaniards and other Europeans, Tenerife is more of an escape from winter and Mallorca a summer retreat. Mallorca is in the Mediterranean and is the “big dog” of the Balearics. Tenerife is in the Atlantic and takes a back seat to Las Palmas for tourists. Lodging, if our AirBnBs are any indication, is reasonable—rental cars are even more so—making your euro go a long way on either island.

bb

        Iconic windmills of Mallorca 

n

                 Like being in Castile 

Tenerife is nearer to Morocco than to Spain and San Cristobal and Orotava reminded me of colonial Mexico. Mallorca is only an hour by air from Barcelona and Valldemossa and Deià could fit right in in Spain. Driving on either island isn’t for the faint of heart. Since we aren’t beach people we found Tenerife with its iconic volcano, Mt. Teide, to be more interesting, not to mention there were more endemic birds there than on Mallorca.

n

                      Tenerife reminds us of Colonial Mexico

b

              Pico de Teide, Tenerife

But why choose one over the other. Do as we did and spend time in both with a break in Madrid or Barcelona or Andalucía in between. Adios, y Salud, Amor, Pesetas y Tiempo para Gastarlos.

b 

                     Choose wisely—Choose Both!

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.