Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Brownsville: Birders and Borders

USA | Saturday, 2 April 2022 | Views [185]

Historic Morris-Brown House and not-so-historic Cottage, Brownsville

Historic Morris-Brown House and not-so-historic Cottage, Brownsville

THE MORRIS-BROWN HOUSE IN BROWNSVILLE was built in 1909 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Morris-Brown Cottage—where we stayed—is not. Our host Steve, who owns both plus another six apartments in a separate building on the property, gave us the grand tour of the Big House and showed us the wonderful remodel job he and his wife are doing. Maybe when they have finished they will move on to the Cottage.

Actually, the cottage had almost everything we could ask for; wifi, air-con, hot water, a functional kitchen and a comfy bed—even a kitty to pet—all at an attractive price. It’s not elegant but it worked fine for us.

b

                         Black-Crested Titmouse

bb

                           Nashville Warbler

n

                  Long-billed Thrasher

We were back in Brownsville on the Great Texas Birding Trail for the spring migration on their way back from Central America. Sadly, we are a bit early and the windy weather didn’t help. But hope springs eternal. 

n

                     The Three Stooges

We improved our photos of the black-crested titmouse, Nashville warbler and long-billed thrasher at Resaca de la Palma State Park. We also shared the 15-acre maze of trails at Frontera Audubon preserve in Weslaco with dozens of turkey vultures.

b

                  Trumps New Wall, Brownsville

nn

                          Krushchev's Old Wall, Berlin

While the birds have free rein to come and go as they wish, Trump’s Border Wall is an ugly reminder that not everyone has the same freedoms, even people from a country that once claimed Brownsville as their own and, legally, may still. Maybe we should build more bridges and fewer walls.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.