Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

4th Biggest City In The World

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 11 May 2007 | Views [1016] | Comments [12]

Hi All

Hope all is going well back home.  I have a day off today & have managed to get to the fourth biggest city in the world (Area not population).  Mt Isa is the closest city to Cloncurry, and has a mine right in the middle of the town. 

I am currently sporting a bandage on my left hand due to an accident with some steel mesh, and will put a photos ont he blog to show you all !Nothing too serious though.

Working hard 6am to 6pm 6 days a week, but really enjoying it.  It's good to be able to stand back at the end of the day and see what you have achieved.

I've also been to an Anzac Day parade (like remembreace Sunday at home) and had a couple of wild nights in the local (45min drive) pub.

Thats all for now and I will update again when I get access again. 

All the best.

Ed

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Ha!!! If you think you have a minor cut from some steel mesh, you want to have a look at mine gash after dodging a "For Sale" sign travelling at 20mph (Revenge will be sweet!!!!)

Good to hear all is well. I currently have a Kiwi called Richard working for me now & he brought some Anzac biscuits in last week (Very nice!!!)

All is well here and hope to see you soon.


Skelly.

  Skelly May 11, 2007 5:09 PM

2

Hello Eddy

Pleased to hear you are enjoying life in Oz, Commercial and Retail opportunities available in North and East Yorkshire Area, really exciting roles with fanstastic views of York Minster and water sports available during your lunch break on the river Ouse. I take it we won't be able to tempt you !

We were with Sue and Philip on Bank holiday Monday, had a smashing day with Roast Beef and Yorkshire Puds, it was excellent. We saw the photos they had taken while they were with you. What a fantastic experience they had with you, the photo's certainly live up to what you hear about Australia. the sunsets were spectacular. Sue was very brave going on that trip to the Great Barrier Reef with the sea being as rough as it was.
The weather here has gone very wet and cold again, could do with a bit of Australian Sun to get the plants going.
Simon and Emma send their regards, they are in the process of buying a flat over in Swillington near Garforth. Proving stressful, but hpoefully it will all work out ok.

Look forward to seeing you in August and hearing all your news.

Charles and Shirley

  Charles & Shirley May 16, 2007 6:55 AM

3

Hi Eddy
I put a message on the Blog last night and was disconnected so lets hope I have more luck today.
Just sent an email so perhaps you will beable to pick that up shortly.
All is well here at home and we continue to be pretty busy. Spent the day at Holly Trees on Thursday. We were going to Monk Fryston in the evening to sort the music out for the reception but that was cancelled at the last minute which was a pity. However we did manage to fine tune some of the other requirements and so the day was not wasted. We also went to the florist in Tadcaster, we took our wedding handbags and managed to sort the flowers out for them. We are having the flowers on our bags rather than on our outfits.
Had a couple of days up in the Lake District last week which was really nice. The countryside looks really super at the moment and with the recent rain you can almost hear the grass growing. Have booked another night away in June in Appleby when we hope to see the sight and sounds of the Horse Fair. Also a reunion in Birmingham in June so its all systems go with plenty to look forward to.
Shirley and I are having a "make-over" in York next week and Phil Andy & Mike are going to be measured for their suits. That will be your first job when you get home.
Hope your hand is OK, I bet it has been a nuisance especially keeping it clean.
Hope that you continue to enjoy Curry and the Stock yard is progressing well. Mount Isa sounds an unusual place - I guess the mine makes a novel roundabout in the middle of town!
Do take care Eddy. LOL Mum & Dad xx

  Mum & Dad May 19, 2007 11:14 PM

4

Ventriloquist visiting Australia


A ventriloquist visiting Australia walks into a small outback village and sees a local sitting on his porch patting his dog.

He figures he'll have a little fun, so he says to the Aussie

"Hey, mind if I talk to your dog? "


Villager: "The dog doesn't talk, stupid "


Ventriloquist: "Hello dog, how's it going mate?"


Dog: "Doin' all right. "


Aussie: (look of extreme shock)


Ventriloquist: "Is this villager your owner?" (pointing at the villager)


Dog: "Yep"


Ventriloquist: "How does he treat you? "


Dog: "Real good. He walks me twice a day, feeds me great food and takes me to the lake once a week to play. "


Aussie: (look of utter disbelief)


Ventriloquist: "Mind if I talk to your horse? "


Aussie: "Uh, the horse don't talk either. . . . I think. "


Ventriloquist: "Hey horse, how's it going? "


Horse: "Cool"


Ventriloquist: "Is this your owner? " (pointing at the villager)


Horse: "Yep"


Ventriloquist: How does he treat you?


Horse: "Pretty good, thanks for asking. He rides me regularly, brushes me down often and keeps me in the barn to protect me from the elements.


Aussie: (total look of amazement)


Ventriloquist: "Mind if I talk to your sheep?"


Aussie: (in a panic) "The sheep's a liar."

  Skelly May 21, 2007 9:45 PM

5

Hi there Jolly Swagman
Do hope all is well with you as it is with us.
Yesterday, as it was market day, we went to Skipton. We usually park at the swimming baths and walk into town along the canal and its very pleasant. However yesterday I was at the wheel and we came off the Skipton bypass and I took a wrong turning and we finished up at Skipton Auction Market! So we went in there and found it most interesting. They were selling bulls aged about 12/15 months and they were fetching between £350/£500. Then later there was a sale of pedigree stock and a "big boy" there went for 3000 Guineas. Now do you know what a Guinea is? I will leave that one for you to ponder!
We did eventually get into Skipton and had a good wander round.
Today we have been shopping etc. It's all very mundane!
Off to York on Saturday where Shirley and I are having a make over and then we are taking Shirley & Charles out for a meal. It's a Bank Holiday weekend in UK of course but as you no longer work for the Bank!
Hope your hand has healed up and that all is well in Curry. It seems such a long time since we heard from you so hope you are OK.
Take good care Eddy.
LOL Mum & Dad xx

  Mum & Dad May 25, 2007 12:34 AM

6

Dear Jolly Swagman
Little did we know 26 years ago that our Birthday Greetings to you would have to travel half way around the world! 26 years ago our Greetings would have had to set off much earlier using snail mail! How things have changed - however our Birthday Greetings have not changed at all and we wish you a lovely day and many Happy Returns.
Take good care Eddy.
Lots of love Mum & Dad xxxxx

  Mum & Dad May 30, 2007 4:51 AM

7

Hello Eddy

Just a quick message to wish you a happy birthday, were sure you will be having a drink to celebate. We will have a glass for you over here.
Have a great day.
See you in August, I think there's a do on!

best wishes

Charles, Shirley, Simon and Emma J

  Charles & Shirley May 30, 2007 7:32 AM

8

X X X XXX XXX X X
X X X X X X X X X X
XXXX XXXXX XXX XXX X X
X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X


XXX XXX X X X
X X X X X X X X
XXX XXX X X XXXXX X X
X X X X X X X
XXX XXX X X X


Have a great one mate.


Skelly.

  Skelly May 30, 2007 6:06 PM

9

Now then Bro,

Here's wishin you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY - 26 I believe - do hope you have a gud un whatever you decide to do - no doubt knowing you plenty of alcohol will be involved somewhere along the way!!! Anyway don't do anything I wouldn't - and we'll have to sort some kind of pressie out for you when you return being as you currently have NFA (work it out!!!) to send one too - your loss I suppose!!!

Anyway take care and we'll speak soon.

Lots of Love Andy & Em -x-x- (Don't appear to love you quite as much as Skel!!!).

  Andy & Em May 31, 2007 1:24 AM

10

Good to see your still having a good time makes a change you working 6 days a week you always got out of saturdays at bradford. Nic says hi nd she still knows she chose the right onw between the 2 of us haha

  Damo Jun 5, 2007 5:28 AM

11

Ed

Apologies for the tardiness of this note - have had real connection problems following installation of my spankingly new broadband connection - Costock has only just got street lamps so broadband was TOTALLY groundbreaking. I've also bought a new computer so have just got round to setting it up.

Anyway - Happy Birthday for last week, me ol' fruit! Hope you had a very enjoyable day and branded a few cattle with extra birthday vigour!

Not a great deal happening at the moment - have decided to extend Atkinson Towers with a sun lounge at the back and landscape the garden. Sounds like a bit of fun and rather expensive - Mrs A has approved me to spend the money so it appears to be only a matter of time...! Other than that, going to Cornwall on Saturday for week - hopefully surfing for some of it. Might even get Kate started on it - she would love it, I'm sure!

Work continues to be "good fun". There's lots happening at the moment so am keeping very busy and working (occasionally) some very silly hours, including evenings and weekends. I still get loads of time to spend at home though which is nice.

Hope all is well with you anyway mate. You carry on branding and I'll carry on banking.

Bye for now.

A


  Androo Jun 8, 2007 4:53 AM

12

An Englishman goes to Australia with his wife; they stay in a 5 star hotel and hire a Limo for the day. While driving along the road, his wife asks,

"Look! What is that man doing with that kangaroo?"

The man replies, "My God! Don't look, it's disgusting!"

Further down the road the wife says, "Look, another one!" and the husband says,

"Disgusting! I shall report this when we get back to the hotel."

They arrive back at the hotel only to find a man with one wooden leg having a wank on the steps of the hotel. The husband charges in and says to the manager,

"Look, we come here in good faith, to stay in your 5 star hotel and what happens? We are driving down the road and we come across a drover in copulation with a kangaroo. Further on, more recurrences of the same thing. Then we get back here only to find a man with one wooden leg, masturbating on your front steps. Well, what do you have to say about that?"

The manager says, 'S'truth mate, you expect a man with one wooden leg to catch his own kangaroo?"

  Skelly Jun 13, 2007 6:40 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.