Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Bit of pre-Christmas excitement

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 16 December 2009 | Views [955] | Comments [1]

Well afer no updates for a while two in a short space of time.

We are now winding down for Christmas and have been fencing this week.  managed to do about 1km yesterday which isn't bad going really although it doesn't sound like a lot.  Had a beer at the pub on the way home and then headed back to jessievale picking the kids Christmas presents up at the mailbox on the way. 

The weather this last few days has been a lottle cooler, and with alot more cloud about marking the strat of "The Wet".  As I was driving home the rain had already fallen on the Jessievale drive and made it rather slippy.  I was only on the road when i crossed it and spen alot of time going sideways too !!  All good fun, until you have to clean the car !!

As I arrived at the house I go a call on the radio asking me to load the firefighter and head to a neighbouring station where lightening had started a grass fire.  I took about 45mins to load up, fill the water tank and got to next door.  When I arrived mark was in the chopper keeping an eye on the fire with Anthony and Bob on one fire fighter keeping the flames from crossing a pipeline which formed a firebreak.  Mark landed and I manned the second hose driving behind the frie and spraying water onto it to get it out.  Thankfully the fire wasn't too big and we managed to get it out pretty quickly.

I then drove back to Jessievale through pouring rain and got back to Jessievale for around 19.30. 

Over the afternnon and evening Jessievale got 34.5mm of rain which is a good storm for this early in the season.  Lets hope we got alot more before the wet finishes.  I've put a couple of photos on of the fire for you to have a look at.

Ed

Comments

1

Hi Eddy
Great to have the two updates from you. You sound to have had a very busy run up to Christmas but in a very different sort of way! Fire man now - is there no end to your talent? And now you have rain whilst we have snow! It has been really cold here of late and Andy said it was minus 10 degrees C this morning in Tockwith.That is even colder than it was here I think although I have hardly been out of the house today, in fact almost confined to the kitchen preparing food for Mary's 80th Birthday tomorrow. There are six of us all preparing different things to feed about 60 invited friends! Just hope it all goes well.
We went up to Queensbury Parish Church on Thursday evening with Shirley and Charles. The Black Dyke Annual concert. Charles managed to acquire seats three rows from the front so we were really well placed and had a joyous evening. It was absolutely brilliant and I am sure that the slates on the roof were rattling. It was a bitterly cold night - a right Queensbury night infact, but our hearts were warm.
We hope you enjoyed and have recovered from your Christmas Party at The Quamby and I guess you are preparing to depart for the East coast and Airlie Beach. We do hope you have a great time - Christmas on the beach will be a great place for you to relax and we will be thinking about you as we huddle around the fire!
We are looking forward to spending Christmas with everyone over at Andy & Ms and looking after Baby Sparrow.
We will drink a toast to you as we always do and do hope you have a great Christmas Eddy. Do take real good care and hope to speak to you again soon.
With our love as always Mum & Dad xxx

  Mum & Dad Dec 20, 2009 8:18 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.