Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Still in cold Curry

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 17 June 2007 | Views [979] | Comments [3]

Hello All

Sorry for not putting comments on sooner.

I am still working away in Cloncurry and have almost finished the cattle yards I have been helping to build.  It's a big job.  A couple of weeks back 700 cattle were loaded onto roadtrains and sent to the meatworks.  In the yards there were around 3000 cattle.  It's the middle of winter here with the temp getting down to zero or just below at night and only reaching 20/25 during the day.  Today it has rained all day which makes a nice change. 

Aswell as building the yards I have been working on 2 stations around Cloncurry. 

Jessievale which is about 2 minutes from Quamby, and Gleeson which is about 40km South of Burke & Wills.

While up at Gleeson I was helping to muster some cattle and managed to do the most amazing jump on my (the stations) bike.  Going up a dam wall a little too quickly I cleared the top of the dam, let go of my bike, landed next to my bike and it didn't even hurt.  By the time the others had got to the top of the dam wall I was back on my bike, but couldn't stop laughing !!!  Thankfully the dam was low so I didn't get wet. I'll be joining Mr Sim on his next journey (Show him how to do it)!!

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (today) it has been the Cloncurry Show so has a good day there yesterday seeing a bush show and catching up with people I have been working with. 

On 31st May i turned 18 again and had a good couple of weekends at the Quamby pub to celebrate.  Rum and Coke and plenty of XXXX was the order of the night and I did get a little tipsy along with everyone else who was there.  I even got to serve behind the bar, pink wig and fake body to boot.

Today it has rained all day so I have been watching the TV.  AFL, RL. RU seem to be on all the time. 

My travel plans today are to stay here in Cloncurry until the end of July to catch the Quamby Rodeo, and the head back down to Rockhampton and Brisbane for my flight home.

I don't know if I will get another chance to put a note on the blog before then, but keep posting your comments, and I will catch up with you in August.

Ed

PS  The map a tthe bottom of this page is the exact place where I am working.

Tags: Work

 

Comments

1

Ed...Evilknievel...

How are you? Sounds like all still well in your neck of the woods!!

Summer is here...albeit the rainy, flood season...

Still going strong at new job and already 4 months into my 6 month probation period.

Yes Ed, get in touch when in UK in August - will go for a few XXXX and a catch up.

Take it easy and speak soon

John

  John Sim Jun 19, 2007 9:51 PM

2

Hi Jolly Swagman
Good to hear from you again and to learn all is well with. Glad you enjoyed your Birthday --traditionally I presume with a nice cup of tea and a piece of Birthday cake!
We were out at the Sportsman last weekend - Andy had been doing a little job for Tim and Nichola on the Saturday morning and they needed to quench their thirst so we went along too. It was ever so busy as there was a live band. Don't know if I told you but it is up for sale at the moment 1.5 million I think! Melvyn Big D and Richard were there too so it was nice to catch up with everyone, as well as Trevor who came in later.
We have just enjoyed a two day break in North Wales and stayed in Llandudno which is a very pleasant Victorian resort, probably the best we have ever visited and well worthy of a return visit. The Great Orme the headland out from the resort is very interesting and we had a good walk around there.
My reunion in Birmingham went wonderfully well and we had a great time laughing mostly as you can imagine.
Revisited the hospital, had a boat trip on the very extensive canal system, an Italian meal and a visit to a National Trust property almost in the city centre.
I travelled down by train and we stayed in an hotel in the city centre which was very convenient.
Phil has been busy dry stone walling and is at present restoring a garden seat for Andy & Ms. It will look very smart when it is finished.
It will be the York cycle Rally this weekend hence the rain! We may well pop over there on Sunday for old times sake. Glastonbury also this weekend so the weather will no doubt deteriorate. I think Henry is going so hope he enjoys it.
Good to hear from John S. again. Eddy do you remember meeting the S.A. guy in the restaurant in Cairns and you dashed back to the hostel to get a copy of the email which J.S. had written in Afrikaans - he, very diplomatically I think, interpreted it for you! Wonder what it really said!!
Well I think I had better go and see how Phil is getting along now. Take good care Eddy
LOL Mum & Dad xxx

  Mum & Dad Jun 23, 2007 12:30 AM

3

hey edddie
how Are you on this mighty fine day the sky is blue and the ground is dusty,.. lol how have u been we hope to catch up with soon back here at quamby sat nights just arnt the same without you aye i got heaps of pictures to send well talk to ya soon
seeya round take care ..
dani from the one and only pub!!

  dannielle Sep 15, 2007 2:54 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.