Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

What a Great Weekend

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 11 March 2007 | Views [739] | Comments [5]

Back in Rocky for the weekend.  Friday night was a quite one in the local, but managed to get rather drunk. Woke at 10 on Saturday to clear blue skys, 30 degree heat and a light wind. Went out shopping and got back to the pub for 11 and was told ..

 

"Get your boardies (shorts), we're going to Great Keppel Island for the afternoon."

 

Off I went to get my boardies, some cash and my sun cream.  Got driven to Yepoon with a stop off along the way to pick up a boat and some fishing gear.  In the water by 13.30 and on our way to Great Keppel.  The wind was picking up as we travelled across the bay (This island is about 1hr from the mainland).  Got to Keppel and threw some handlines over the side of the boat and I caught 4 fish within about 20 minutes.  The wind continued to build and after a check with the coastguard decided it was now too windy to return to Yepoon.  So here we are.  The guy that owns the bar, his girlfriend, a guy that works there and me.  All wearing swimwear, and thongs (Flip Flops) Stuck on an island for the night.  No plans, food, accomodation, clothes that didn't smell of bait, etc.

Managed to find a room at the YHA and find a bar.  Spent the night listening to live music, watching a storm over the bay, and having a few drinks on the beach.  Keppel has white sand, clear blue seas, palm trees, and a great atmosphere.

Photos will be on the blog next week so you can see for yourselves.

 

Hope your weekend has been as good as mine.

 

Ed

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

Sounds terrible. Bet you really wish you were back in Leeds now, eh?!

Seems like it's all going rather well, Mr Bird. I'm about to start a week's holiday - it's my daughter's fourth (!) birthday this week so I thought I'd have the week off. No doubt, by the end of it, I'll be glad to get back to work for the rest!

Things still ok in sunny Nottingham, in fact we have Radio 1 coming to Loughborough this week to do a comic relief gig. Not that I've got tickets you understand!

Keep smiling mate (I bet you're smiling that much your ears are hurting).

Androo

  Andrew Atkinson Mar 12, 2007 7:25 AM

2

I think I am beginning to realise just why you decided to jet off to Oz! You sound to be having a great time and we are so happy for you. However if I had known that you were 'stranded' on an island I would have been somewhat concerned especially if you were 'smelly'
What did you do with the fish you caught? Did you cook them on a driftwood fire on the beach like Robinson Crusoe.
All is well here, and the weather is really very pleasant.
Take good care Eddy and looking forward to seeing the photographs on the Blog.
LOL Mum & Dadxx

  Mum & Dad Mar 13, 2007 7:11 AM

3

Mr 'Friday' Bird......

Well now...stuck on an island...white sands...palm trees...live music..bar...

Must be hard livings for you! Well am also stuck on an island...slightly bigger then yours with lovely 'sunny' weather...no palm trees...no white sand...geee,,, going to start crying just now....

No lady also stranded by any chance??????

All still well over here and enjoying my new found challenge,

All the best Ed

John

  John Sim Mar 13, 2007 9:24 PM

4

Did you find my girl friend in Yepoon?

  john Mar 15, 2007 12:27 AM

5

Hi fella

Sounds terrible - sunshine, clear blue skies and seas, palm trees and drinking on the beach!!

My weekend did not quite compare Ed - running around on a muddy football pitch, windy and freezing my boxxks off trying to keep up with these 'young uns'.

Glad your're still having a fabulous time 'down under'.

It does not seem two minutes since we were in freezing Latvia - in fact just over two years ago! Does the scenery compare?? I still have the disk you kindly put together!

Big year ahead for the English and Austrailians with the cricket and rugby world cup!

See St helens won the world club championship against the Brisbane Bronco's - gave them Aussies a good hiding. May provide useful ammunition if they beat us again!

Look forward to seeing the pics and further entries on your blog.

Cheers

Lee






  Lee Windle Mar 19, 2007 12:10 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.