Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Goats, Jokes & Immigration

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 13 May 2009 | Views [2033] | Comments [8]

Blog Update

 

Well since I last wrote to you all I have been keeping myself busy doing various things.  My knee is still a little sore after the motorbike crash down at Cunnamulla, but it is definitely on the mend.  Had a couple of weekends at Quamby and also went to the Canoe races at Gregory – 3 hrs NW of Quamby.  In true Gregory style my bag was stolen!   Ended up wearing the same clothes all weekend, but thankfully we were camping near the river so while we didn’t have a shower we were able to go swimming as and when we wanted.  I will have to make a claim on the travel insurance.  Conrad (Broke his neck last year) is back out here for 3 weeks just catching up with everybody so it was has been really good to see him.  I am currently back down at Clio – the manager here is away so I am looking after the place for the next two weeks.  Checking waters and poisoning prickly bushes.  There are around 3500 cattle on Clio at the moment and so far they are all behaving themselves.  Something I forgot to mention last time I was on here is that I now have my own horse.  He was born unexpectedly!  And when we were getting ready to send some of the old unbroken ones for dog food Tom gave it to me to break in.  We castrated it (different to castrating cattle as horses bleed a lot more so you have to cauterise when you have cut). After castration we branded it.  I don’t have my own brand so we put the Jessievale brand on it.  So while Tom gave it to me, technically he still owns it.  Not really sure how it is my horse but there you go.  I have called him Jack and he is the ugliest horse you will ever see.  We have been riding horses and working cattle and it’s been good to get back in the saddle. 

 

News today that the Australian government is to cut the Skilled Migration Visa numbers by 7000 next year.  I hope this will not affect me, but you can’t be certain!  Latest news last week is that we had to write a letter to explain why the McMillians employing me would be of benefit to the Australian economy during the current crisis.  I think that the Australian government has got the immigration policy pretty spot on.  There have been a number of cases of asylum seekers being found by the Australian Navy, and rather than being taken to the mainland of processing they get taken to a place called Christmas Island.  Cool name for a place, but apparently it is full of asylum seekers!  If they are granted leave to stay in Australia they are then allowed in, if not the get sent home without ever setting foot in Australia.  While I am getting more and more frustrated about my current status I can understand why the process is taking so long.

 

Now after ranting on about immigration and what not,  a joke to lighten the mood.  While I can’t verify that this is a true story, I’m pretty sure it will be.

 

Three Aussie guys were working on a high rise building project Steve, Bruce, and Kevin.  Steve falls off and is killed instantly. 

As the ambulance takes his body away Bruce says “someone should go and tell his wife”

Kevin says “OK yeah, I’m pretty good at the sensitive stuff, I’ll do it.”

Two hours later he comes back carrying a slab of XXXX.

Bruce says “Where did you get that Kev?”

Kev replies “Steve’s wife gave it to me”

 

Bruce says “That’s unbelievable; you told the lady her husband was dead and she gave you the beer?”

 

“Well not exactly” Kev said “When she answered the door I said, you must be Steve’s widow”

She said “No, I’m not a widow”

And I said “I bet you a slab of XXXX you are”

 

Other things that have happened since the last update.  We were out clearing a fence line of grass for two reasons 1) So you can drive round the fence to check that it isn’t broken.  2) As a fire break.  Tom was on the loader and I was following in the car doing up the fence where the flood waters had broken it or washed it away.  Suddenly between me and Tom there was fire.  I alerted Tom and we spent a mad 10 minutes putting the fire out.  We ended up only burning an area of about 20SqM.  Seeing how quickly the fire took hold was pretty scary and Tom had to drive through the fence twice to get around it in the loader.  I can only imagine what it would have been like to have been in the bush fires in Victoria at the start of the year.

 

I now have my own computer at the quarters too.  No internet yet, but hopefully I will have it within the next couple of weeks!  I will let you know.

 

Today we have been out spraying prickly bush, and went to check the waters.  On the way around one of the paddocks, we found a mob of goats, and thought it would be a nice surprise to catch one of the goats and give it to Ian & Del (Mangers of Clio) as a welcome home present.  After a little chasing, we managed to catch one of the smaller ones and it is currently tied to the cattle grip outside the house.  Does anyone know what goats eat?

 

Ed

xx

Tags: goats, jokes

Comments

1

Just about anything, Mrs D! If it's vaguely green, it will be eaten.

Glad to hear it's all good (if a little hair-raising at times!).

All quiet on the western front here, recession allowed for!

Only 27 years till retirement.

Aki.

  Andrew Atkinson May 14, 2009 5:27 AM

2

Hi Ed
Hope all is well. We have had a rather wet May so far and are looking forward to some warm dry weather. We went to Haworth on Sunday with Shirley and Charles to a 1940's event but the fine weather did not hold and we got rained off which was such a pity.
Simon & Emmaj wedding was a really good do and we really enjoyed the day. Emma looked fantastic and Simon was so proud, cool calm and collected! The ceremony was lovely and the speeches were excellent.
Chelsea Flower Show - the most prestigious event of its kind in the world. The exhibiters work for years to achieve absolute perfection and strive to win a coverted Gold Medal. The event is given much coverage on Tv and we enjoy watching it.
James May had a stand this year and we all eager to see what that was like as we do not associate him with gardening. The whole garden was made out of plasticine! The grass, flowers, gnomes, caterpillars,ladybirds plates and even the ham sandwiches were all made out of plasticine! It was a scream. He was wondering if he had been given an award and was not disappointed, yes you got it, a Plasticine Medal!!
Been up to see Mary this afternoon and she sends her good wishes to you.
Take good care Eddy and hope to hear from you soon.
LOL Mum & Dad xxxx

  Mum & Dad May 21, 2009 5:32 AM

3

Eddy

Well I think you must have sent some of your rain over to us as it has certainly been very wet. It absoultley poured down on Simon and Emma's wedding day, but we were very lucky and it dried up and the sun made a brief appearance just as we were taking the photos. Thank you very much much for your message, they were both really pleased to receive it on the day.
We had an excellent day the Sundat before with Sue and Philip at the 1940's weekend at Howarth, the weather was lovely when we set off and we enjoyed one of Sues lovely picnics and then unfortunately as the day went on the weather changed and we had continual rain, however it did not stop us enjoying ourselves and we then went home for a super meal.

Now that hings are settling down we are hoping to start painting this weekend, you watch it will be he hottest weekend of the year to date just I we are stuck inside, at last the paint will try quickly.

We hope you are successful in your application Eddy, one or two people and Ricky have asked if you are home and what you are doing, they maybe hoping you will come back to join them, I think Australia sounds the better way forward.

We have put your Birthday present in your account Eddy, hope that is ok and we hope that you have a smashing birthday, We will lift a glass or two, well maybe one I don't want to splash paint all over !to wish you all the best.

Take Care

Charles anS Shirley

  Charles and Shiley May 29, 2009 8:25 AM

4

Hi Ed
Just to wish you a very happy birthday, hope you had a great day and lots of beer! Am a bit behind with keeping up with everybody I met out in Oz but glad to see it looks like you're still having a great time and enjoying life out there :) I take it HSBC weren't able to tempt you back then?! Fingers crossed for your visa application, hope it all goes well for you. Keep posting up the photos, even if only to make the rest of us jealous.
Take care
Love Em

  Emma B Jun 1, 2009 12:37 AM

5

Happy birthday, you old tart.

Hope you had a good one!

Aki

  Andrew Atkinson Jun 1, 2009 3:32 AM

6

Hi mate,
Hope you are doing well on the wrong side to the world. Hope you are havin a good b-day and have a Bundy on me.

  Skelly Jun 1, 2009 6:14 AM

7

Hey mate - sorry I didnt message u yesterday I didn't get on t'internet - I did text u tho - so hopefully ull get that at some point??? Anyway hope you had a good Birthday and that ur still celebrating. Mum & Dad send their love - they have just bought a new computer and are not on the web as yet - long story but hopefully they'll be up and running soon. Anyway get in touch cos it been ages. Lots of Love - Us -x-x-

  Andy & Em Jun 2, 2009 5:49 AM

8

Hi Eddy
It will take us ages to get used to this awesome machine but our most important link is the one to you so I need to know we can connect OK. All is well here, out for a meal tonight over Wetherby way to celebrate Andy's 30th Birdday so looking forward to that. Hope you had a good Birdday and that all is well. Will write longer later so meantime take real good care. LOL Mum & Dad xxx

  Mum & Dad Jun 3, 2009 7:00 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.