Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Rained Out

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 28 January 2009 | Views [918] | Comments [11]

Hello again.

Mty second update for 2009 and again been really busy.  We have had 7 days in January without rain so the country is looking a lot better.  Plenty of green grass about at the moment, but this dose also cause some problems. . .

1) The main Jessievale drive has been out of action all year - I have driven on it once and a quad bike and got the quad bike bogged !!  Did manage to get it out though.  And it may have had a little to do with the rum I had been drinking too !!

2) the kids are getting board - despite our best efforts - scrabble, uno, pictionary etc are only fun for so long.  We have played them all quite a few times !

3) Our new road out of Jessievale is only passable on the Quad bike, so shopping is a bit of a problem.  We can get to the main road, but can only carry limited grocerys back.

4) People keep getting bogged - Willy Hacon. Jamie Hacon (both from next door) Bob Scott (another neighbour) Tom (my boss) plenty of times on both a bike and in a 4x4.  Me !!

5) When you do manage to get out as I did 2 days ago to go into town for Australia Day 26th Jan.  You can't always get back. 

While we were in town Jessievale had 2 ins of rain.  This doesn't sound like too much, but it means that all the creeks flood.  I spoke to Tom and he said I probably wouldn't get back to Jessievale.  I had got out on the Quad and met Willy Hacon (the neighbour) to go water skiing at the now full dam, leaving the quad hidden at the side of the road 20km from Jessievale I thought no more about it until we heard of the rain.  We couldn't even drive back to the neighbours as the road was too wet.  For Willys parents were due to go on holiday and were unable to drive out to catch the flight, so they got intouch with a guy in town that does helecopter mustering and arranged to be picked up and flown to town.  We - Me Willy & Alex (Willys sister) were flown out to Granada Station (Willy House) and Willy parents picked up.  So I am now 15km past the Quad, and 35km from Jessievale and it has rained again today so I am unable to get to the Quad to get back to Jessievale !  The creek that I have to cross to get to Jessievale was well in flood - I would estimate that it would be about 2 mts too high to get across on the Quad.  The amount of water is really unbelievable - I will put more photos on when I get back to Jessievale.

Getting raind out does have some upsides though. . .  Yesterday we watched some movies, played cards, had a swim in the dam and generally chilled out.  In the evening just before dark we had to feed and lock up the various pets, including two baby camels.  I got to bottle feed them which was a new experience for me !  When I say the camels are babys the probably stand about five and a half feet tall with necks that would reach to about 7 feet high.

Today we did a little work - moved some traliers and cleaned up after some pruning, then played on the Wii for a while before heading back to the dam and doing some knee boarding - a little like water skiing only kneeling.  I will be here again tonight and will see what the weather brings over the coming days.

Jessievale has now had around 20ins of rain in Jan.  This is more than the last 24 months put together, and some places further North are going to be cut off for at least a month.

Tags: rained out - floods

Comments

1

Hi Ed
Great to hear from you again and we look forward to seeing some more photographs soon. It seems very hard to imagine how the outback looks covered in water when it was so very dry in September. It must make life very difficult for you all. How did you celebrate Australia day? Perhaps you had a nice cup of tea and a bourbon biscuit. Have you found the Quad bike and managed to get back to Jessievale yet!
All is well here at home and the weather has been quite calm for a few days. Alas we are now promised a blast from Siberia on Sunday with snow forecast so we will have to batten down the hatches.
We had everyone over here last Sunday which concluded the Festive get togethers. We had a lovely time, played the compulsary silly games and generally had lots of fun.
We have been taking advantage of our bus passes lately and the days bring alot of surprises if you don't particularly plan anything. Take last Wednesday we went to Bradford and out to Otley where we had a look around the shops. From there we went onto Ilkley and had lunch in the Church before doing the rounds of the shops there. We were going to catch the train back to Bradford but spotted a bus going to Keighley so jumped on that. When we arrived we went to the information desk and asked when the next bus to Halifax would be? We have not run buses to Halifax for years she said! so she suggested a nice way back would be to go to Hebden Bridge via Haworth. That was an interesting ride and then we caught the bus to Halifax and then home!!! We are now collecting time tables and planning the next adventure.
This week we have been on the NY Moors where we called in at Gillamoor to book B&B for Shirley & Charles and us. For Christmas they gave us a voucher for lunch on the train from Grosmont to Pickering. They also received a voucher and so we are booked to go together in April and have decided to make a weekend of it which should be good. Hopefully the daffodils will be out in Farndale so maybe we can take a look at those too.
Tomorrow we are invited to have a meal with John & Barbara and are taking Mary too so looking forward to that.
How did you go on bottle feeding camels - it sounds really bizarre.
Did I tell you we went to the Rex in Elland to see the film Australia? It was ever so good and we really enjoyed it. Also we watched a childrens progamme on TV today called Outback. Think its a series but its about 8 children from UK who go out to Oz to Longreach where they become Jack and Jilleroos and live in a centre there before they go out to a station in Manningham. They learnt the basic skills in the centre and then went out to muster sheep on horseback and then once they got them into the yards they sorted them out before then learning to shear. They did ever so well and had a great time together.
Andy & Ms are fine, we called to see them on Wednesday evening on our way home from the NYM and Scarborough.
Think thats about all for now Ed. Take good care.
Lots of love Mum & Dad xxxxxx

  Mum & Dad Jan 31, 2009 7:11 AM

2

Hey Bud,
Sounds wet & wild in Oz mate, we've had our own share of erratic weather just lately. We had about 5inch of snow on Monday, which was good since I'd planned on working from home that day, laughing at all the Southerners falling over and crashing their cars on the news (it's only a bit of snow).

All is going well with my own company, six months in and the contracts are still coming through the post and I've not been locked-up by the tax man (YET?!?!).

As for the wedding plans, we have to meet the caterers this month and choose the suits. Amanda's not keen on the Flamingo Pink suits "Miami Vice Style", so I may have to go all conservative. How are your plans going to get back over hear for the big day??

  Skelly Feb 6, 2009 6:29 PM

3

A bloke's wife goes missing while diving off the West Australian coast. He reports the event, searches fruitlessly and spends a terrible night wondering what could have happened to her. Next morning there's a knock at the door and he is confronted by a couple of policemen, the old Sarge and a younger Constable.

The Sarge says, 'Mate, we have some news for you, unfortunately some really bad news, but, some good news, and maybe some more good news'. 'Well,' says the bloke, 'I guess I'd better have the bad news first? 'The Sarge says, 'I'm really sorry mate, but your wife is dead. Young Bill here found her lying at about five fathoms in a little cleft in the reef. He got a line around her and we pulled her up, but she was dead.

'The bloke is naturally pretty distressed to hear of this and has a bit of a turn. But after a few minutes he pulls himself together and asks what the good news is. The Sarge says, 'Well when we got your wife up there were quite a few really good sized crays and a swag of nice crabs attached to her, so we've brought you your share.' He hands the bloke a sugar bag with a couple of nice crays and four or five crabs in it.

'Geez thanks. They're bloody beauties. I guess it's an ill wind and all that... So what's the other possible good news? 'Well', the Sarge says, 'if you fancy a quick trip, me and young Bill here get off duty at around 11 o'clock and we're gonna shoot over there and pull her up again!

  Skelly Feb 6, 2009 6:31 PM

4

Well I've been in the area around Mackay for a few days now and only had a small amount of rain. After going to Rocky I went down to Theodore, it's on the edge of the mining area. Did think of going to Yapoon to see the girlfreind up by the singing sail but had to stay with brother as he was driving. It look's as if you are continuing to enjoy your life out here. You need to work on getting a big pump to transfer the water from QLD to Victoria, could be money in that venture
Best wishes
John

  John Feb 10, 2009 10:54 AM

5

Hi Ed
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday it was cold and the garden was white and after we eventually surfaced this morning most of the snow had gone and it is much warmer. Lets hope that the weather hitches down under resolve them selves pretty quickly and that life can get back to normal for everyone.
As I mentioned we were rather up late this morning. BigD had his party on at The Sportsman last night and I don't think we seem to be capable of standing the pace these days! Not as many people there this time around but Andy & Ms came over and we were all able to catch up with Joe, Andrea, Mel, Tim,Rick (well sort of) he was well away having been there since lunch time.
We had a nice surprise last week. Katie got in touch.
She had a interview at York St John's and wondered if she could catch up with us. So, she came over after her interview and stayed overnight and we had a lovely time together catching up on all the news. She was very interested to hear about her "Cowboy Cousin" and enjoyed looking at a few photographs. We had a lovely walk around Ogden Water the next morning and she left to drive back to Yeovil after lunch. She is thinking of doing an Occupational Health Course at some stage but also is awaiting an interview in Derby.
Mary is OK and she is treating us all to a meal at The Whaler in 10 days or so. There will be 10 of us including Barbara so that will be nice to be all together again.
Just into the Six nations rugby at the moment so that is always good to watch.
Hope all is going well for you and everyone around The Stations. Take good care. LOL Mum & Dad xxx

  Mum & Dad Feb 16, 2009 3:06 AM

6

Hello Eddy
How are you doing, you have certainly had some different weather, what with all the rain and the the terrible fires further south. We have been looking at your pictures of the floods, it looks so different to what we have seen on Sue and Phillips photos.
As you already know we have had a winter this year, they have promised us some warmer weather this week, so we will keep our fingers crossed.
We are are starting to get ready for Simon and Emmas big day, it will be here before we know it. we have the stag do in Poland first in March, that will be different.
We then have our trip on the North Yorks Railway and Sunday lunch on the train with Sue and Phillip to look forward to. Have always wanted to dine in style on a train.
Lisa Greaves Jones that worked in City branch when you were in Leeds was asking how you were getting on, she had a baby boy last Monday, she was at work and went home and then had the baby, she has suprised alot of people starting a family.
We still have vacancies Eddy if you fancy it, I'm sure we could get you an international secondment.
Look after yourself

Charles and Shirley



  Charles and Shirley Feb 17, 2009 8:06 AM

7

Hello Eddy
Greetings from a very breezy UK. Last night we went to see John & Wendy and when we left them around 11.30 we drove through monsoon like rain. It was really bizzare. Today we have had blue sky, high winds, rain, hail and snow. just the norm really! Anyway all is well. Charles and Shirley - re your entry above Ed is not in any big hurry to take up your offer of work - I wonder why!!
I am now well into reading Riding The Plains In Poddy-Dodger Country and am enjoying it very much. Jessievale is mentioned quite alot and things do not sound to have changed too much really.
Phil is getting ready for Simon's Stag Do and as it may be rather cold needs lots of warm clothing. He has been raiding your wardrobe too!
Lots of things happening throughout April and so we have a busy time ahead, all nice to look forward to.
Phil saw Tim this morning and as always he asked about you and sends his good wihes.
Phil is just putting a new light fitting up in the kitchen so I had better go and show him how to go on and then I will be able to see to make a Steak & Kidney pie for tea.
Hope all is well "down under" so from all of us "up over" take real good care.
With our love as always Mum & Dad.xxx

  Mum & Dad Mar 9, 2009 2:50 AM

8

Hi, im in Adelaide,stumbled on your site while looking for road train pics had a look at the rest of your stuff,very impressive.


Cheers Fred

  Fred Mar 16, 2009 9:41 PM

9

Hi Eddy
Well they are all safely back from Poland after what sounds to have been a real good elbow bending exercise to give Simon a good send off. They did one or two cultural trips but I doubt if any of them were sober enough to pay any attention.
Meantime back at home all is well and Ms invited me over to Tockwith to join her, Shirley and Barbara for a nice meal. It was super and we went for a nice walk as it was such a lovely day.
The rest of the time I spent Spring cleaning but there is still lots to do!
Hope all is well with you and that you are keeping OK.
Take good care Eddy LOL Mum & Dad xxxxx

  Mum & Dad Mar 19, 2009 3:22 AM

10

Hi Ed
All well here - busy as ever but all keeping well and hope its the same with you. Newspaper headline today (well the Metro anyway) Toxic Toads to be Wiped out in a Cull. Just wondered if you have volunteered as there are prizes to be won!! Might be free beer perhaps.
Off to the Cricket Club race night tomorrow so that should be a good laugh.
Has the flood water subsided yet? Best wishes to everyone and LOL from M & D XXXX

  Mum & Dad Mar 28, 2009 1:17 AM

11

A young Aussie lad moved to London and went to Harrods looking for a job.

The manager asked 'Do you have any sales experience?'

The young man answered 'Yeah, I was a salesman back home in Dubbo.'

The manager liked the Aussie so he gave him the job.

His first day was challenging and busy, but he got through it.

After the store was locked up, the manager came down and asked, 'OK, so how many sales did you make today?'

The Aussie said 'One!'


The manager groaned and continued, 'Just one? Our sales people average 20 or 30 sales a day.
How much was the sale for?'
' £124,237.64p.'

The manager choked and exclaimed £124,23764!! What the hell did you sell him?'

'Well, first I sold him a small fish hook, then a medium fish hook and then I sold him a new fishing rod.'
'Then I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down at the coast, so I told him he would need a boat, so we went down to the boat department add I sold him that twin-engine Power Cat.'
'Then he said he didn't think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him down to car sales and I sold him the 4 x4


The manager, incredulous, said, 'You mean to tell me...a guy came in here to buy a fish hook and you sold him a boat and a 4x4?'


'No, no, no... he came in here to buy a box of tampons for his lady friend and I said...



'Well, since your weekend's buggered, you might as well go fishing.'

  Skelly Apr 6, 2009 4:42 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.