Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Happy New Year

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 5 January 2009 | Views [514] | Comments [2]

It's only 5 days into the new year, and already so much has happened.  as part of the NY celebrations in Rocky, they have a week of events aimed at the 18-30s.  It all kicks off with a cruise to Great Kepple Island followed by a party at the heritage hotel.  This was on the 29th December.  On the 30th was the Races followed by the Oxford Hotel street party.  NY eve is the big night - a black tie and Boots B&S Ball.  B&S stands for bacholor & Spister and is somewhat of a country tradition throughout Australia.  NY day is recovery day - really another oppertunity to get drunk !

The one event I attended was the street party & what and event it was.  During the day I helped to set up for the evening.  This involved putting up fences, crash barriers and loading the big cool boxes full of various drinks and tonnes of ice to keep it all cool.  At 530pm the gates opened and a steady stream of people began to arrive in their racing best !  I had managed to blag a staff pass, which meant two things 1) I had to work.  2) Free drinks and access all areas !  I started off behind the bar, but was also wanting to take as many pics of the event as possible. (i've bought a new camera) Throughout the night I took pictures and did work behing the bar when it got busy.  Unfortunatly at 11pm I had to leave the party to drive to Brisbane (8hrs) to catch a flight to get to Mt Isa for a 21st birthday party at Cloncurry race course on NYE.   I made it and free beer was had by all.  Another really good nite.

Now this is where it gets exciting - at 6am NYD it began to rain !!!!!! and since 6am we have had just over 10ins or 161mm (last year we got mm 150mm for the whole year).  Think back to when you were a kid at school and it started to rain.  Remember how excited you got ?  Well Tom (my boss) has been like that for 4 days !!  Looking out of the window every few minuites !  I have put some picture on of the rainwater.  The corella river is 4m over the road, the Dougald River on Mt Roseby has burst its banks.  the only way in or out of the stations is by chopper.

just after sunset each night al the frogs begin to sing. I have no idea where thay have come from as I have hardly seen a frog here before - the sound they make is pretty creepy. 

Tags: long awaited rain

Comments

1

Hi Ed

Good to receive the update on the Blog and to see the photographs too - thank-you.
Glad to hear that the rain that we have been sending from the UK for all these months has finally arrived - you had better get ready for some frost and snow because we are fed up of it now!! Things must look very different to how it was in September - water water everywhere! I hope all the frogs are not hiding in the toilets!
You certainly sound to have enjoyed yourself over the Festive season and New Year. Willys party looked to be good too. Do send him our good wishes.
All is well here at home. Chris and Jenny are coming tomorrow so looking forward to that. Mary is fine and wishes to be remembered to you. Andy and Ms are fine - they have just had a week off and seem to have enjoyed the break.
As you know I am now mastering the Facebook site and so can pick things up on there too.
Take good care and hope to hear from you again soon.
Lots of love Mum & Dad xxxx

  Mum & dad Jan 10, 2009 6:59 AM

2

I can just see Tom peering out the window and jittering in excitement about the rain - how funny.
Your photos are so cool, it transforms into completely different country doesn't it. Where is the photo taken of those 3 lovely little children in the water??
Hopefully it'll be a ripper season after all this rain, lots of work for you ringers to do!!
I've only just got off the phone to you so no more to report from my end of the stick.
Speak to you soon cowboy Bird, love Annabelle

  Annabelle Heggaton Jan 19, 2009 10:12 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.