Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Hard Work !

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 13 December 2006 | Views [629] | Comments [14]

Hi all,

A quck update before getting back to work after lunch,

Been working really hard as always ! mustering cattle and sorting them into yards for letting back out, being sold, branding, and sending away for feeding.  Started at 5am today and will be finished at around 18.00 tonight.  Yesterday I had to shoot a cow that wasn't very well . . and yes I did hit it !  Also been checking water and feeding the cows which are out in the bush.

It's really dusty here and I will try and put some more photos up soon.

Ed

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Ed ' cow shooter ' Bird.....

Sounds like you are becoming a true cattle herder! Hard work but sounds great, nothing like proper physical work! Great adventure Ed and keep it up!
Keep sending updates and pics and all the best!

John

  John Sim Dec 13, 2006 8:26 PM

2

Now then Ed

Sounds hard work mate but if you think that is bad try being an RBM...... only joking.

As you know I have experiance working with cows of all kinds!! I know which type I prefer....the ones that don't answer back or nagg just mooo.

Its good you have got internet at this farm, am sure we will all send you a message on xmas days when we are at Emma's and Andrews.... It will be a bit strange that your not there but I bet you will have a good time and if I were you I wouldn't bet on a white christmas in Oz.

It looks like the Ashes are lost so I bet your getting some stick.... just tell them that at least were better at urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm urrrrrrrrrrrrm Horse riding... sorry I really couldn't think of anything else!!

All the best from here mate, keep us updated.

Si

(also Charles, Shirley and Emms say Hello and all the best)



  Simon Hustwit Dec 14, 2006 8:45 AM

3

Ed,
Please send picture of you riding Bull in the style of Desperate Dan.

Sounds like you are having top time on the Ranch and hope your having a easier time learning to ride a horse, than you did learning to drive.

Skel.

  Skelly Dec 14, 2006 11:01 PM

4

Hi Eddy
Just sent an email but thought we would put an entry here too.
Well how are you getting along with 1999 cows! Lets hope no more fall sick.
Have you got them all to stand still whilst you count them? I do hope you can remember all their names!
We thought about you on Wednesday as we were in the Woolly Sheep enjoying a drink and a meal- wonder why we thought of you.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaa Moooooooooooooo
Do hope you continue to enjoy life in Oz but you do sound to work very long hours.
Are you getting good food and drink?
Keep updating Eddy as and when because everyone is so interested.
Do take good care
and will add another entry very soon.
Don't forget to let us have an address asap

  Mum & Dad Dec 15, 2006 7:55 PM

5

Hi Eddy

Thanks for the e-mail. Glad to see you are working hard for a change!! That would have been quite a BBQ - a whole cow!
Are they giving you lots of 'stick' about the cricket?
Sounds like you are getting a taste for the old XXXX Gold. Hope it is better than the XXXX standard variety!
Have you been getting stuck into any Bush Tucker'?

Sounds like your having a wonderful experience. Bet you are missing all those banking targets and difficult customers....not!!
Keep enjoying the experince fella!

Lee Windle

  Lee Windle Dec 16, 2006 8:43 PM

6

Hey Ed

Went and put my comment in the wrong place!! Doh!

Hope youre having great time?

Loving the pics but getting a bit worried as no females, well on 2 legs anyway! Ensure u protect yourself at all times................., with the pen knife we bought you of course!!

Watch out for 'No Arse' he looks like an angry Bull and Clive needs toilet training!! Good luck with that one!

Take it easy and have a great Xmas

Big hello from everyone at the bank!

Stevie

  Stevie Dec 18, 2006 12:57 PM

7

Well Ed, what an adventure! I used to love Rawhide and there you are living it - have had the line 'rope and throw and brand 'em' ever since I heard what you are doing. Guess these days it's quad bikes and cattle crushes - you've still got to catch then tho'!
Don't tell Dad but I got him a book on Eastern Australia for Xmas and it looks like you are in an idyllic area. I hope you enjoy every minute of it and I can't say I'm not a little envious! Have a wonderful Christmas, take care, lots of love Jane, Katie, Louise and Henry xxxx

  Jane Pearce Dec 19, 2006 10:11 AM

8

'Ed the cow shooter bird'

Boy keep your spirits high. Working from 5am to 6pm is not very nice especially when the job description includes feeding & killing cows. I am not sure which cow did you kill but you should have made sure that it was a an Aussie cow. I will wait for your pics with the cow.

  ATIF Dec 20, 2006 6:50 AM

9

Hi Eddy
Just going to pop a message on here for everyone who has so kindly written on the Blog. Eddy has lost access to the internet - hopefully this is just a temporary blip and contact will be restored shortly.
My guess is that he is using the cable as a lasso to catch the cows!
He is OK and still enjoying life down under.
Happy Christmas one and all.

  Mum & Dad Dec 20, 2006 7:47 PM

10

Ed,

Good to hear all is well to date! Had a wicked xmas party last night although you were missed!

John's knees were sore today not sure if he wants to explain! Lots of shenanigans (sp?) anyway!

Have a fantastic xmas and new year! Will leave the real banter for your "unofficial" site. And you can tell me again aboput the Sheila's you've made friends with! ;-)

Have a great one.

Nige (f.l.)

  Nige "f***ing legend Dec 22, 2006 3:28 AM

11

Hi ed

Merry Christmas!!

Missing you mate and its not the same. Hope you have a fab xmas in Oz and a great new year.

All the best

Lots of Love from

Si, Emms , Charles and Shirley.

  Simon Hustwit Dec 24, 2006 11:11 PM

12

Hi Ed,

Merry Christmas fella! Have a fabulous time. Hope you get some time off from those cows for Crimbo and New Year!

How do those Sheila's out there compare to the Latvian's?

Happy Christmas to Mr and Mrs Bird too!!

Lee, Sarah, Thomas and Felicity

  Lee Windle Dec 25, 2006 4:36 AM

13

Hi Eddy
Christmas Eve here and we are all looking out for Father Christmas who will have already made your delivery I think.
All is well here, we were in Whitby yesterday and enjoyed a nice walk. Climbed the steps up to the church, there was a super display of Christmas Trees inside - may have been 50 or more all decorated in a different way.
Rae has just rung and they send their best wishes to you from Tarbert. All is well with them both.
Eddy who is Sheila? Must tell Mum all about her!!
Hope you have a lovely Christmas Eddy - do you get a day off?
Take good care and hope you will be able to access all these lovely messages shortly.

  Mum & Dad Dec 25, 2006 5:36 AM

14

Well after all your Dad's travelling I would have thought he would have come across one or two Sheila's by now.
Anyway I notice everyone's been up all night sending you greetings (all the a.m time slots).
It's just about time to pop down to the bottle store to arrange to get your tinnies for the barbie.
Have you tried the pokkies yet?
Oh I nearly forgot it's time to wish you a happy christmas. We hope you are enjoying yourself and it's not too cold. It's been cold in Melbourne today that should slow the ausssies down a bit so that Flintoff can get at them.

  John & Caroline Dec 25, 2006 7:06 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.