Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Drought

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 27 June 2008 | Views [614] | Comments [2]

Hello again to everyone.

I've put some new pictures on the blog fo you all to have a look at to show you just how bad the drought is at the moment.  The station I am on (Jessievale) only has about 600 cattle left on it, down from about 4000 last year - there isn't much grass here.  The horses that we use for mustering are getting skinny and we are having to feed them (rather than them just eating grass).  The wind is blowing at the moment making everywhere very dusty and the mornings are getting cold now we are in mid winter (the dry season)

On a brighter note, Quamby have opened a second bar called "The Jessivale Bar" and I am going to a fancy dress 40th party tomorrow night in Mt Isa.  Is this the longest party you have every heard of . . .

It started about a month ago with a week of fishing and drinking for the selected few (I think only 12 people went up North for that).  It continued the week after with a 9 (i think)corse meal for 10 poeple and is followed two weeks later by a paint ball day, followed by the big party tomorrow.  Fancy Dress. . . pilots and air hostesses !!

I'll let you know how it goes !

Ed

Comments

1

Surprise, surprise there is a drought in Oz at the same time you are in the country. You know you will have to do your bit. Stop drinking water and keep on the beer.

  Skelly Jun 30, 2008 3:52 AM

2

Hi Eddy
Now I guess that you will still be either semi comatosed or very hung over after the fancy dress party! Hope you have got some pictures of yourself and its my guess again that you did not go as a pilot! What with that and another bar in Quamby will you ever be sober again?
All is well here and we had an excellent night on Friday helping Simon and Emj celebrate their engagement. It was a good do, good food, a lovely cake ofcourse and lots to chat about. We nearly didn't go as Shirley gave us the name of another venue about 150 miles away (by mistake I hope)Seriously though it was good and everyone was asking about you.
We bought a new camera yesterday so that is my new toy. Its got a wider angled lense and so can get more onto the picture which is useful - there were some wonderful long distance views in Scotland and I could not get everthing on with the other camera which was a pity.
It looks very dry and dusty Eddy - I bet it makes work quite difficult for you all. The cattle numbers sound a little more managable but it will not really be good news for the cattle ranch owners. When will they replenish stock or is that in the lap of The Gods.
We are still awaiting the arrival of summer. Today its been a mixture of sunshine and showers but its not summer warm yet.
It the Euro 2008 final tonight - Spain v Germany. Who will win that Eddy?
Well I will sign off now - hope all is well and look forward to hearing from you soon.
Lots of love Mum & Dad xxxxx

  Mum & Dad Jun 30, 2008 3:57 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.