Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Clio

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 1 July 2008 | Views [900] | Comments [7]

I am working at a station called Clio between Winton & Richmond. 

Mum & Dad you are right, I didn't go as a Pilot or an Air Hostess.  Willy was hotly tipped to be the (very) hairy legged air hostess, so a change of plan there !!  We turned up, to see a pregnant girl in an "Ex Virgin" airline outfit, a fella from the next door station dressed as a bomb with the words "too old to blow" painted below !!  I ended up going a a pirate - the closest thing I could get to a pilot without being a parrott but good fun and free beer and rum was had by all !!

Today we have been castrating and de horning weeners all day.  I cut my finger, but not badly.  (I had to write that cos when I told my boss Tom, he said "you wouldn't read about it" but there you go, now you have read about it !!.

Not much else happening at the moment.

Ed

xx

Comments

1

Dear Eddy
So you are in Waltzing Matilda Country Eddy.( for the uninitiated Winton saw the first public performance of "Banjo Pattersons ballad Waltzing Matilda and in the centre of the main street is a Jolly Swagman statue under - yes you guessed it - the shade of a Coolibah tree) Just what everyone needed to know but perhaps more importantly there are several very good bars there too which I am sure Eddy will revisit given half a chance!
I have been to The Designer Outlet in York today with Mary where we managed to get her a very nice outfit to wear on the occasion of Judith Fozzards marriage in September.
Phil meantime has been raising the level of the wall on the roadside and he is stepping it to meet up with the wall at the top.
We are hoping to go to the GYS next week and Mary is coming too so looking forward to that. HRH will be there on one of the days I think so may catch a glimpse if we are lucky.
Glad to hear the party went well Eddy and we are looking forward to seeing some photographs of the interesting sounding fancy dress attempts!
Keep up the good work Eddy and do keep your fingers out of the way.Take good care.
Lots of love Mum & Dad xxx

  Mum & Dad Jul 3, 2008 5:23 AM

2

Hi Eddy
Can you read your emails at some point please? Do hope all is well. Its very grey here today so will be pottering about in doors I guess. Take care LOL Mum & Dad xxx

  Mum & Dad Jul 5, 2008 6:57 PM

3

Hi Eddy
Well we had a good day at the GYS with Mary. It stayed mainly dry for us and we met up with Si & Emmaj Keith Carol and Judith as well as George Graham & family. It was quite busy but not too bad. Andy & Ms went the following day and then on the final day HRH graced the show ground as it was the 150th show. I think the livestock was down in numbers due to the Blue Tongue.
There was no bare back riding, kangaroos or anything like that and the cattle looked much fatter than those you have in Oz. We managed to eat our picnic whilst watching some cattle being judged ( No beef sandwiches though)
All is well here and our webbed feet are progressing well. The rain is almost always present these days.
Phil has cut our lawn today and is now doing some weeding.
Hope all is well with you and take god care Eddy.
LOL Mum & Dad xxx

  Mum & Dad Jul 13, 2008 12:02 AM

4

Hi Bud,
Sounds like it's all still going on well in Oz. Just been to Scotland on holiday with Amanda last week & dodged most of the rain that hit Yorkshire so that was a result.

A little bit more exciting news is that me and Amanda got engaged on Friday, so this means only one thing. 2009 is going to be a stag-tastic year so hope you will be able to make it back as I think it will be quite hard to swing a stag-do in Oz, but I will try my best.

  Skelly Jul 15, 2008 1:16 AM

5

Dear Eddy
There are several signs which denote the arrival, at long last,of some warm sunny weather and boy are we making the most of it.
The washing line is out almost daily, we are wearing shorts and tee shirts, and we are spending less time indooors choosing instead to find jobs out of doors.
Phil is in the throws of replacing some guttering so that is keeping him busy.
Last weekend Andy came over and did his annual hedge trimming up at Farsides, continued in the same vein up at Marys. and then kindly trimmed our hedges too. He makes a really good tidy job of them and manages to do it so quickly. So on the back of that we have been tidying some of the ground level shrubs up as they have grown in leaps and bounds.
Then last Saturday night we went along with Andy to the Sportsman where Joanne had organised a 30th birthday party for Rick. A very quiet affair really but nice to catch up with everyone. Its the year for engagements Skelly & Amanda, Tim & Nicola, Joe & Andrea. The jewellers have all run out of lovely engagement rings! We think they should have one big Hen night, Stag night, and then a huge triple wedding and reception - all in Oz - preferably Queensland.
Andy and Ms are fine and we are hoping to catch up with them next weekend. We ahve been invited to Holly Trees on Sunday and we are taking Mary along too (she has been invited ofcourse!)
We hope all is well with you and that you are not working too hard.
Take reall good care eddy and hope to hear from you soon.
Lots of love Mum & Dad xxxx

  Mum & Dad Jul 27, 2008 6:37 PM

6

How do Ed,

Hope all is well with the sun, beer & women over in Oz. Just to let you know that me and Amanda have booked Saturday 29th August 2009 for our wedding, so you can put it in your diary. We'll leave a space for you at Church just in case you can make it.


P.S. Stag-do will be in June/July, but I will keep you posted as details unfold.

  Skelly Aug 5, 2008 9:50 PM

7

How do Jackaroo?
We have just enjoyed a lovely weekend over Wetherby Way. Started off with a lovely buffet lunch at Kendal Gardens along with Ms Shirley & Charles. Andy and Richard then arrived and we all went to Tockwith Show. A lovely afternoon looking around all the stalls and calling to see how things were getting along in the Beer Tent!
We then moved on swiftly to Pickering a very comfortable ride there with Charles at the wheel. There was plenty to see there through the smog of the steam engines, and to hear as the Fair Organ music drowned conversation. Very well attended by young and old all enjoying the fun of the fair in various stages of the effects of alcohol. A really good atmosphere as you can imagine. We were on our way to see Melvyn who was there for the weekend with the Matador. However we got were delayed on passing the Prestons of Potto outfit who were due to start their evening performance. Dancing girls (and boys) Can Can Girls (and Boys) a show not to miss. The last act is really good fun - The Dorset Rats. The stage is full of characters under the direction of a piano accordian player. The songs are really Bawdy and very near the knuckle but so very funny.
By this time around 10pm we were all aching with laughter and our tummies were rumbling so we set off in search of food! By the time we were through the trough it was time to find the car! We would still be there but for Shirley who rummaged through her handbag and pulled out a torch (and the battery was working) and she kindly lit the way back to the car. Back to Tockwith and tumbled into bed.
Sunday dawned, and we drove over to Halifax to pick Mary up and then back to Holly Trees where we all enjoyed a wonderful lunch together with Barbara and Derrick. We spent the rest of the day relaxing and enjoying the usual banter. All in all a smashing weekend.
Hope all is well down under and that you are keeping fit. I see Skell and Amanda have set the date for the wedding so time will fly by for them now!
Take good care Eddy and hope to hear from you soon.
Lots of love Mum & Dad xxxxx

  Mum & Dad Aug 6, 2008 5:22 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.