Existing Member?

Ed in Oz Travels around the stations & pubs of Australia

Busy time about to start

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 16 January 2008 | Views [621] | Comments [1]

With the family whos station I am staying on away on holiday, I have been left to run the place.  Only 80,000 acres for me to look after plus 3 dogs, roughly 3500 cows and 1 frog !

I am also helping to build a set of cattle yards at another property in my spare time !!

I am also planning the trip of a lifetime for my brother and a friend when they come and see me in March for a month. So far we will be seeing Queensland, The Northern Territory, South Australia, Victoria, and New South Wales !

It's going to be a hectic month !!  I am currently sorting out all the things we will be doing and the accomodation - Including a Sydney Habour Bridge Climb, A day with Capricorn Dave, A look at a station (Hopefully)  A trip round the Whitsundays. A tour of Fraiser Island, and a few other things.  I know they are both really looking forward to it and I really am too.

The station has gort a new chopper and it was used for the first time yesterday to muster 500 cattle which we moved for 1 field to another.  The chopper is working well and the cattle were moved quickle and efficiently.

In the last 3 days I have seen 3 snakes - Two small harmless Carpet Pithons and one 1.5m King Brown - If you are bitten by this you will die in around 10 mins.  Thankfully I was in the car when we saw it. 

The weather has been pretty bad recently on the East Coast with Cyclones and heavy rain causing lots of flooding and beach erosion all along the Sunshine and Gold Coasts.  I hope it will be Ok by the time we get there.  The heavy rain is not like heavy rain at home.  Charters Towers had aroung 11ins of rain one night !!  All the dams are beginning yo fill up which is a really good sight, but not so good far any holiday makers around there at the moment !!  More rain is forecast, and hopefully we will also get some out here in NW Queensland.

Thatsa all my news for now.

Hope everyone is well in the UK or anywhere else aroung the world.

Ed

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hi Pommy Jackaroo
Do hope all is well in Jessievale and that you are in full control. How is the frog! Does he/she manage to keep cool and damp? It was good to receive your last Blog entry and we wonder how many of you are on the station to look after everything, all the land and cattle to keep an eye on plus yourselves to feed etc.
All is well on Swales Moor, plenty rain although today has been super and we have had sunshine and blue skies,
such a rare treat these days.
Last Wednesday we went up to Low Bentham to see Shirley & Melvyn who are up there for a week to look after Jessica whilst Christine and Christopher are away skiing in Italy. We had a lovely day catching up with all the news etc. They are both keeping busy and well and do send their good wishes to you and were interested to hear all about you.
The car goes in for service on Monday, Thursday Mary has a hospital appointment and then on Friday Phil is off to Askham Bryan. Andy & Ms bought him a days hedgelaying course for Christmas and so he is really looking forward to it and we just hope its a dry day.
I am going to spend the day with Shirley and then we are all going to the W. Whaler in the evening.
Not much other news at the moment so we send our love to you and we are thinking about you looking for 3500 head of cattle.
Take good care and do look out for those poisonous snakes!
With our love always Mum & Dad xxxx

  Mum & Dad Jan 20, 2008 6:07 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.