Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

The Sky is Falling!

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 4 May 2010 | Views [441]

No. Not a comment on the British Elections!

Luke and Kerstin live in an old Victorian Townhouse that has been made into three flats - one on each floor. They are in the ground floor flat. When I visit I sleep on the sofa bed in the lounge room.

During the week there had been some rain and they had a couple of water leaks into the loungeroom. One, in the middle of the room, was water coming from the flats upstairs. There were also a couple of cracks in the ceiling and we had joked about the ceiling collapsing.

Which is exactly what happened! The first weekend of May is Bank Holiday weekend and on the Monday we were all having a leisurely sleep in. About 8.30am I was awake and I became conscious of sounds coming from above. A clicking sound,like someone walking on floorboards. But in all these flats they have carpets. I was just wondering what the noise was when I was showered with dust and I instinctively rolled towards the corner of the room. Just as well I did as a large section of the ceiling descended - including the large ceiling rose  - and large chunks landed on my bed! I was a bit shocked, but completely unhurt. I then had to crawl out over all this stuff and go and wake Luke and Kerstin. Happy holiday!

It has since been fixed. But it has inspired Luke and Kirsten to look elsewhere for a flat. One with a stable ceiling!

After the excitement we took ourselves off on the ferry to Greenwich where we had a nice Pub Meal and a walk around the markets. Back then to the Geilgud Theatre to see "Hair". I first saw "Hair" in 1969, in one of the theatres around the same area. What fun! I started the day with the sky falling and ended the day singing "Let the Sunshine in".

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.