Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

A Host of Golden Daffodils

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 11 May 2010 | Views [427]

The day after the ceiling incident, Luke and I took off to the Lakes District. We stayed in a little gingerbread house in Windemere. Of course, it isn't really gingerbread. It is built of local slate, but at a distance it looks like gingerbread. Or maybe just to me!

The wind was freezing and the day after we left, it snowed. But we also had blue skies. Or blueish. We travelled around on local buses and went to Ambleside, Grasmere, Kendal, Keswick and Bowness. We had a cruise on Lake Windemere, and did a day tour that included one on Derwentwater (where Derwent pencils come from). We saw Beatrix Potter places and William Wordworth places and went to Castlerigg - more standing stones. This one had the most glorious position on a plateau, surrounded by higher mountains (or fells as we now call them). Despite the cold, it's spring, so the daffodils and bluebells are out in force, and as we drove around and over the fells, the black faced sheep that often cling to the sides of the fells had pure black babies skittering around beside them. Lots of camera activities.

We arrived back in London in time to catch the important end of season football (soccer) matches. And to watch the "Who wants to be the Prime Minister?" TV footage. The reporters had resorted to interviewing each other and the comedians were having a field day. All lots of fun.

That left only one day to go out and visit my friends, Helen and Chris. Another lovely day. Then home. Another trip over and back to reality....

 

Tags: our guesthouse

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.