Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

The Eternal City

ITALY | Tuesday, 20 April 2010 | Views [551] | Comments [1]

For the past 3 days we have been walking Italy. Not that we planned this. The all day tour with lunch that we had booked for the first day turned out to be two half day walking tours, connected by lunch. Over rough ground and smooth, up stairs and down, over ancient roman roads with grooves made by ancient carts and chariots - we do it all. The Coliseum was awesome but we are told that the lions didn't eat Christians there - (it was apparently too small for the crowds that turned up)and it accommodates 50,000 people1 We've thrown coins in the Trevi fountain and seen more statues and paintings than we could ever remember. It's school excursion season so we've been doing research. We've practised our teacher death stare at them (about as effective as at home) and will be happy to report back on our findings - all in the name of a tax deduction! We are staying next to the theatre where "Cats" is playing and they were even at the matinee performance today - clogging up the streets, and making noise. 

Today we went to the Vatican Museum (more walking). When we came out we were taken into St Peter's Square where the Pope was appearing to give his weekly address. The pilgrims seemed to consist mostly of school groups and they cheered his every sentence. Later we heard on BBC News that the address was about a zero tolerance approach to Sexual Abuse. Then he blessed us all. Our guide said he would bless anything we had in our hands, so I had the holiest Coca-cola imaginable. I've now been blessed by the Pope and the Dalai Lama so I'm set now.

Every one under 40 in Rome looks like they could have a part time job modelling. After that they seem to go downhill like the rest of us. But - as you would expect, they make a great cappucchino!

Comments

1

I too have walked the streets of Italy and I know what you mean about the under thirties looking like models, imagine how I felt trying to by a bra and nickers (after my luggage went missing). The sizing was so different to ours in Aussie Land, you could get 1,2,3,4,but they had no cup size for a bra and the nickers were VERY small !!!!. Glad to hear you are enjoying your travells. Keep safe.

  little blue bird Apr 22, 2010 9:46 AM

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.