Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Volare

ITALY | Thursday, 22 April 2010 | Views [469] | Comments [2]

On Monday we took off on a two day trip to Naples, Pompei, Sorrento and the Isle of Capri.

With all the TV footage showing the ash from the Iceland volcano, it was easy to imagine the eruption in 79 AD that destroyed Pompei. Vesuvius just hangs above Naples but the people seem unconcerned. "Pompei tomorrow, Iceland today" they tell us cheerfully. There was much more walking and climbing as every road is uneven, but all worth it. The buildings, some with paintings on the walls and tiled floors are amazing. More school groups (hint: Give them all bright coloured hats so they don't get away) joined us. It was a challenge but there were plenty of people to help and there was a man in a wheelchair doing it. Amazingly we ran into an Australian couple that were on our boat trip last week that wed been very friendly with. Like long lost friends. Seems to be our theme to run into people.

We spent the night at Sorrento and had a beautiful room looking out into the bay and over the houses clinging to the cliffs. The most amazing view. Then the next day we were off to the Isle of Capri. We had little stickers that said "My Guide is Marco" and his telephone number. Marco was great fun. He offered us a spin around Sorrento on his bike, but unfortunately we had a ferry to catch. Later he expressed disappointment that Bookworm and I were going back to Rome that day as he was planning to take us out to dinner. (I'm fairly sure he had already checked before he made the suggestion. It was his birthday - he was 37. What a lovely present it would have been for him if we weren't going back.

Capri is absolutely gorgeous. (More walking). We sampled Limoncello - an alcoholic drink made from lemons. Because the sea was too rough to get into the Blue Grotto they took us on a boat ride around the island and to some other caves. The cliffs are totally sheer and there were mountain goats clinging to the edges. But its one thing to get into a motor boat and another to get out. At one stage they took the boat through a rock arch and told us to make a wish. My wish was that we would be able to get out of the boat when it docked, with our dodgy knees. Well, I got my wish. Luckily we went through the arch twice so I didn't waste my wish. I presume my winning "Win for Life" scratchie is waiting for me at the Mall.

I don't know how many times I heard the "Isle of Capri" song today as well as "Come back to Sorrento". "Volare" means "Lets Fly" and that's what we are doing.

Ciao mi amores. We are off to Istanbul and our next adventure in Gallipoli on Friday.

Comments

1

Wow! I don't know what is more entertaining, your trip or your account of the trip. Enjoy the next stage of your trip, Gallipoli! See you soon, Helen, where you can recover from all that walking at school (!) Looks like your flight to London should be okay, Copperowl, so enjoy your time with your family.

  The Snow Goose Apr 24, 2010 6:19 PM

2

Hello Travellers!
Have been enjoying your blog so much. Will be with you in spirit on Anzac Day. Stay safe.
Magpie

  magpie Apr 25, 2010 2:25 PM

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.