Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Where was I up to?

FINLAND | Monday, 8 June 2009 | Views [668] | Comments [3]

Tokyo is a very busy city and a very efficient one. The bus from the airport was very chatty. First it told us to fasten our seatbelts. Then not to use our mobiles as it will "annoy the neighbours". Go bus! Then it told us as we arrived at each hotel and "hoped to see us again". The train system was very efficient too. The gap between where you put the tickets in the machine and where they pop out was somewhat longer that we are used to and you have to run between them so that the machine doesn't eat up the ticket. This is designed to get people through the barriers fast as there are 12 million people in Tokyo and I think they all travel on the trains. Almost everyone seems to speak English, which puts us to shame. Except, apparently the previous Prime Minister who had been trained to ask Bill Clinton "How are you?" and reply "Me too" when he said he was fine. However he asked "Who are you?" and Bill replied, "I'm Bill, Hilary's husband", to which the PM said "Me too". A good story whether it's true or not.


There are lots of Buddhist temples in Tokyo and I found one in Shiba Park that was just the most peaceful place. I've learned the differences between Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines and know how to pray in both. And did. I light candles in Christian Cathedrals and incense in Buddhist temples and ask for blessings for all my web of family and friends.


I am cheating a little counting Finland in my country toll, as I only sat at the airport for an hour or so. But about 15 hours in a Finnair plane should count. Highly recommended airline. But the man next to me spent the time squirming and twisting and checking out what movie I had on. It was like being trapped for 14 hours with the most ADD kid in Year 8.


An uneventful arrival in the UK and by the time I got to Luke's place I'd been awake for 24 hour. Tiredness but no real jet-lag (they are different) and all's well by morning.

Comments

1

any photos coming? I clicked the photo link and think I got rellies of your ADD seat companion's grandkids.

have fun J

  Jennifer in Canberra Jun 8, 2009 10:22 PM

2

how are you ,maz
have not hear from you for a long time
there is something about the connection
both of your dad and you can not get my letter
however ,i wish you have a good trip

  lucy Jun 8, 2009 11:13 PM

3

There is an owl named Copper,
Who has a tendency to wander.
One day here, one day there,
Little bird turns up anywhere.
Where will she be next, I do ponder!

Magpie

  magpie Jun 10, 2009 10:53 AM

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.