Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Mother England

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 10 June 2009 | Views [603] | Comments [1]

When I was younger (so much younger than today...) I lived in London for 2 years. And it has such fun memories for me that I love it despite its peculiarities. So I'm forgiving it for the two things about today that I'd forgotten are so much part of London - rain, rain, rain and TUBE STRIKE!! So I'm walking up to Highgate Cemetery - with many stops (like this one) along the way.

Londoners, being Londoners don't seem to be phased about the strike. Kerstin is walking to work; Luke is working from home and everyone is on the buses. Even the papers are giving it minimal coverage - except that it might prevent people from getting to Wembley to see the Soccer (sorry Football) tonight.

The papers have been taking great delight in Australia's ousting from the 20-20 Cricket and it's taken the focus off their loss to that powerhouse of Cricket - the Netherlands. Now they are suggesting that England might win the Cricket. And the 2010 World Cup Soccer too. Although by today the papers were speculating that Australia might gain the advantage in the Ashes with the extra time off. So if anyone asks I'll say that that was the plan all along. Sneaky Australia - DELIBERATELY losing both matches. Only other Australian news is the stoush between Gordon Ramsay and our (often unnamed) Prime Minister.

The UK seemingly has no worries about swine flu either. No tally, no questions at Immigration or Customs coming in. In Japan I had to fill in a form which asked if I'd EVER had a cough or a fever. I interpreted ever as being in the previous week and said no. Penalty for lying was 5 years jail. Funnily the UK (but not Australia) is on Japan's list of suspect countries. And Japan's on everyone elses.

Jenni.I haven't learned to put photos on yet. Maggie - love yur poetry. Love the comments - they keep me connected.

 

Comments

1

Hi Copper,
Funny about the swine flu not being a big deal there. You hear of almost nothing else here!!I am SO over it. Maybe I should come over. One day. Never had a cough or flu huh? Lucky you.
Thanks for sharing your journey!

Magpie
ps Just a reminder that your marks have to be in next week.

  Magpie Jun 12, 2009 10:44 PM

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.