Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Phuket Muay Thai

THAILAND | Tuesday, 20 May 2008 | Views [1012]

We flew to Phuket from Bangkok pretty cheap with Air Asia.  It is possible to get some cheap flights around asia but you need to book in advance and know where you are going.  The options for cheap flights I still have not seen as good as in Europe.  However here the bus options are cheap and plenty.  Just LONG.

Phuket is a big island which is its own province.  Hence where there is no 'Koh' at the beginning of the name unlike other islands here in Thailand.

We arrived late at night to a nice cabin with airco, our own bathroom with hot shower, basic kitchen (no stove) but with a fridge and cable tv. I easily liked the place we got.  However we still had to decide if we were to stay there as we thought to do the most cheap options for accomodation.

Tiger Muay Thai is the training camp we chose.  They do offer accomodation ranging from 4000 Baht a month (no airco, single bed share bathrooms) to 16,000 Baht a month (ours).  Training costs 8000 Baht for the month.  The place we got for the night was of course the 16,000 baht...  HOWEVER this is for both of us to stay.  Briel negotiated a better price since we bought a lot of training gear (boxing gloves, shin pads mouth guards etc).  The price difference in the end to take the better room was (8000 baht more) 180 EUR more for the month.  Briel got convinced at that point to have the nicer room.  WHOO HOO I am a happy camper.

Training is twice a day.  Each session from 3 to 4 hours depending on you.  That is 6 to 8 hours a day of hard training.  Training includes skipping, technique class, 1 on 1 hard training with the instructors, bag training, cardio, running and of course fighting others!  You can do Muay Thai, MMA, Ju Jitsu and you can also take yoga in the mornings.  The training options are great.  Once a week we also learn the tradition prayer dance which the Thai fighters do at the beginning of each fight.

The trainer are professional, happy and basically fantastic at what they do.  If you ever get a chance to try this I would surely recommend it.  Briel and I really want to come back here in the future.  We wish we could stay longer than a month.  We surely will bring our kids here in the future to train. 

Ciao for now!

Tags: muay thai boxing training

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.