Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Bangkok

THAILAND | Wednesday, 14 May 2008 | Views [615]

Lucky Budda

Lucky Budda

There are 2 airports in Bangkok.  The old (now mostly domestic flights) and the new (international).  Pere, Rene, Briel and I all arrived late into the night where we were able to get into one cab to the main centre.  This was quite an accomplishment since we all had BIG BIG bags which sat on us the way to our hostel.  THe taxi driver took it though hehe

Our hostel was just off Khao San Road.  This is the famous crazy road whhich goes on all night and everything and anything can happen.  At 2am it was all still happening, street vendors, markets, clubs, bars, dancing girls, ladies - the lot.  We went to bed!

The next day was an adventure around the city.  For 40 Bht per couple (less than 1 Euro) we were driven around in a Tuk Tuk for 3 hours.  We saw the Big Budda, Reclining Budda, Lucky Budda, temples, the palace.

They were all free entry except for the Palace and the Reclining Budda which was 49meters long WOW this was a sight.  Palace was 250 BHT each and the budda was 50 BHT.

The palace was grand, gorgeous.  It had so man colours, details, paintings it was hard to know which part was most beautiful.  The Reclining budda was special.  It was SO hudge.  We got in right at the end of the day and we didn't pay.  There was some confusion where we were being ushered out due to no ticket which another guy mistook was because I had no covers on my shoulders.  he gave me a cover and pushed us all back inside.  It was hilarious and the other guard couldn't be bothered to force us out again.  This budda was my favourite.  It was stunning, perfect and massive.

Learning more about the Buddist it is easy to like the culture.  Well it does fit in very well with being environmentally friendly and bascially nice to all people and creatures.  I know Rene and Pere were very impressed.

My hesitation towards Thailand started to ease during this learning day.  Although there is still the craziness that I dislike there is also an openess and calmness that I do like.  The people can be friendly and helpful.  I liked that.  Slowly I begin to like this country I had so many doubts about.

The Khao San Road has the best bananna pancakes I have ever eaten.  The vendor is on the street and is crazy clean.  THe Pad THai on the street was delicous and only 25 BHT.

The boys ended up buying some tailor made suits which they looked totally handsome in.

Well to the next adventure...

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.