Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Milford Sound

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 13 April 2008 | Views [783]

Milford Sound.  The next best thing to doing the Milford Trek.  We took a little ferry for 1.5 hours around the waters of the Milfords Sound area.  To see mountains rise up immediately from the water was stunning.  To pass glaciers, waterfalls, seals playing.  Was so very relaxing. We even got the bonus of getting a bit sprayed by the water!

The sight was just stunning.  Briel and I hardly spoke as we cruised thru the waters at gentle pace.  Eating our muffin and tea.  It was cold, windy but oh so pretty.  The water so still you see gorgeous perfect reflections of the mountains in the water.  It was like seeing a dark mirror before you.  Glorious.  Our pictures don't do it justice.

Milford area is about 2 hours away from Te Anu town.  This is the last town that you can get petrol/gas in.  So fill up there and then you will have enough for the drive there and back. 

Milford Trek needs to be booked about a year in advance to get on.  However if you are a single or couple travelling you can call the national parks to see about cancellations and you can probably get on the trek, but you need to be flexible with the dates.

Otherwise there is the cruise.  Which costs about $50-80 NZD.  Depending on what you choose.  In the summer months you can also kayak there and do overnight cruises which would have been fun except we went in winter ewrr.

ANyway after a stunning morning, we headed straight out again.  Our aim is Dunedin.  However we probably won't make it all the way there!

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.