Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Franz and Fox Glacier

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 10 April 2008 | Views [857]

The next day we drove easily (about 3 hours) to arrive at Franz Glacier.  We had a picnic lunch then did the 30 minute walk to view the glacier.  You can walk till about 200 meters away from the glacier - after that your suppose to take a tour to be able to walk on the glacier.  As you need the proper equipement.

Although true you need to correct equipment to walk on it - it was still easy walking across the once lake (now rocks) to the glacier edge.  Where you can take some photos, touch it and just enjoy the view.

We love glaciers, so again I picked up some ice - ate it, lazed on it till my butt froze then headed back.  The glacier sat on top and between 2 mountains.  They were pretty high up and steep.  Quite different in view from Perito Moreno Glacier which had kilometers of flat glacer surface.  This glacier is receeding in size.  It once covered the whole surrounding valleys and forest.  This change was just over the last 30 years also, so you can actually see pictures of how they previously looked.

The fox Glacier is about 30 minutes drive away from the Franz Glacier.  The turn off is just off the main highway.  It has similar views.  The tours to walk on the ice are actually pretty affordable starting at $90 for 4 hours to $130 for the whole day.  This gives you water proof jackets, the ice clamps for walking, multiple guides, free transfer from your hostel/hotel.  However since we had done it before, we opted for the free option - our own walk then just continue up to the ice edge.  Perfect for us!

After our little walk we continued to drive south.  Our aim was Haaste villiage.  Along the way you do of course stop at the look outs which are again stunning.  Mountains rising directly out of the water.  Gorgeous desserted beaches.

Haaste however had nothing to entertain and we arrived just after 5pm.  SO still early.  There was only a couple of shops then hotels campervans - a basic stopover place.  However they had no areas for free parking or camping - so we continued on.

We found a little free parking area next to the river.  So we stopped there and fell asleep probably by 8pm!  We noticed that we would many nights get 10 hour sleeps or even 12-13 hours sleep.  This was a delicous experience we neither of us normally can sleep that long without feeling the need to wake up and DO things.  However since there is not really so much you can do to stay awake or nothing is open so early - your forced to relax.  FANTASTIC - highly recommended activity to relax and sleep a bit on your vacation.  We felt so energetic every day and so at peace.  It really is much easier to face what life has to throw at you with a clear head and rested body.

SLEEEEEEEEP - just do it!

Ciao for now!

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.