Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Tongariro Trek- Lord of the Rings Mt Doom

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 5 April 2008 | Views [5947]

Mt Doom - Tangariro

Mt Doom - Tangariro

Today we completed the Tonariro trek which was the famous mountain from the Lord of the Rings.  To cross the mountains takes about 6 hours not including the climbs up the different mountains.

We climbed Mt Tongariro with spectacular views of the rest of the valleys and mountains.  With the sun setting the whole area was alight with streams of gold flowing all thru the mountains rock. 

This was a big change from the other views with dark black hard rocks to climb!  The other highlights on this trek was Red crater - this was a big VERY dark red crater.  This also changes colours depending on the amount of sun from bright red to crimson and even burgandy.  It was stunning and deep!  very scarey to look down.

There was a hard downhill often where you were mostly sliding down the hills, but this led you to the Emerald Lakes which really was pools of green gemstones staring back at you so peacefully.  You become mesmorised and nearly forget that it is freezing cold tempretures as you want to dive into the lakes.

The Blue Lagoon is also vast and pretty.  However the stunning scene was the eMERALD lAKES.

We picked up my first ever hitchhiker.  He did the trek and then needed the ride to the next town.  We were passing and so we did it.  He turned out to be Israeli!  hehe

Ciao for now.

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.