Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Wellington

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 6 April 2008 | Views [927]

After the hard trek, we met an Israeli treker who asked us for a ride.  Going south also, so we hesitantly said yes.  Which turned into a learning experience for me.  Growing up in Sydney I never picked up hitch hikers.

We stopped off in Wangani this night which took us about 1 hour closer to Wellington.  After the trek we were a bit rough around the edges from sweat but oopps no shower for us tonight.

Early the next morning we finished our drive to Wellington.  We had a great lunch by the coastline so again great views of the sea.  After we then drove a bit around looking for a DVD.  We had several hours (till 2am in fact) till we needed to be at the Ferry terminal for the boat crossing.  I guess we could have looked around, but the more we travel the less interested we are in cities and what they have to offer for site seeing.  I guess building are just no longer my thing.  Nature is - who would have thought? hmmm hehe

So after some DVDs we drove to the warf to wait for the time to cross. We weren't sure how it worked, but basically you drive in your car, park it and you MUST ride on top.  We thought we could get in sleep in the car - but apparently for safety reasons we had to go up top.  So bringing our pillows and blanket we seated infront of the cinema they had.  Fell asleep to the movies.

Crossing we did with Blue Ridge Ferries.  They were much cheaper than big standard one cost us 165 NZD for both of us and the car.  This was much cheaper than the 300NZD otherwise quoted us!  AUGH.  It was a great boat too, with cinema, cafe bar, casino, video machines, dark rest areas, dining hall.  So it was pretty fun.  Although we woke up with a shock when we docked.

The ferry took us over to Picton.  There was NOTHING open at 6am in the morning, we just wanted fuel really - but NOPE all shut.  Damn that is the good thing about big cities you can get anything anytime.  Although low on fuel we figured it should last us the 59KM to Blenhiem.

It did - phew! hehe just though.

Ciao for now!

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.