Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Wai-o-Tapu and secret hot springs!

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 4 April 2008 | Views [4701]

Volcanic lake

Volcanic lake

Now in the main city of Rotorua there are many natural thermo springs places which can cost $40 a person or even $80 a person.... hehe well no we did't really like that option.  So we talked to a few locals and we got some hints that there are some natural hot springs that are NOT for sale... ie FREE!

However before doing this we did check out the local town, took in a Mauri show of the traditional songs and dances.  Briel was even called up on stage to learn and try it out!  He was hesitant but in the end he went! GREAT!  We also got some buffett food out of it. $65 a person a bit pricey but we wanted to do it just once anyway.

Next morning we head off early to check out the Thermo Wonderland called Wai-o-Tapu.  This place is just stunning and is considered one of the most beautiful geothermo locations in the world.  It deserves the reputation.  We just loved the colours in the earth and the water.  We loved the mud and the boiling oils-mud or water.  We evern got to see a geyser - this is like a little volcano that pits out water at 20m high every 3 days.  However here they induce it every morning at 10.15 by adding some soap in it.. go figure that!  Still worth the $27 we paid to get in though.

After we headed close by to Twin Streams.  This is a local secret spot where 2 stream meet.  One cold and one hot.  The resulting pool is a fantastic hot spring that is in one spot cool and the other SO SO hot.  From about 25-45 degrees C.  Was a treat and all for free.  Basically you drive as if going to Wai-O-Tapu, but then at the little bridge you stop.  here there are little trails that head down tp the streams.  Just delicous.  We spent about 4 hours here till we were all wrinklely.

After we stopped by Haku Falls on the way to Taupo.  This was gorgeous too.  The falls were not large, but they are pretty.  The nicest blue colour you can imagine.  They were just like gemstones the water!  Amazing.

Another tip - Kerosense Creek and Mystery Creek are other hot springs you can visit all for free.  Kerosene Creek is the turn of just before Wai-o-Tapu from Rotorua.!  Enjoy..

Anyway ciao for now.

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.