Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Inca Jungle Day 1

PERU | Friday, 14 March 2008 | Views [959]

The montain bike which didn´t work!

The montain bike which didn´t work!

We decided to do the Inca Jungle trek 4 days 3 nights.  Our first day started at 7.30am where we were picked up at our hostel by our guide Hugo.  We then met with the rest of our troop.  There was 8 of us in total and I was the only girl much to the disappointment of the boys.

We drove for a few hours to a high point of 4200m to view the Sacred Valley area.  Which we couldn´t see due to all the clouds and mist.  Boo hoo.

After driving more mountain ranges we finally reached our first major destination - 3900m high.  From here we took some mountain bikes to bike all the way to Santa Maria.  The bike ride was just under 5 hours.  Some people took just 4 hours.  However since I made Briel bike at snail pace it took nearly 5! hehe  However joking aside it was a hard ride, it was mostly downhill, but not all road.  It was offraod with alot of rocks, holes and even some avalanches that we needed to cross.  Plus getting very wet from the small rivers we needed to cross also.

The bike ride went fairly well if you don´t inlcude that my bike gears didn´t work - so every time there was an uphill I had to jump of and walk.  Briel´s bike chain broke and so did some other part we could´t fix so we were walking for about 1 hour.  The bikes themselves were no great machine, but we had fun.  I was in a bit of a panic most of the time as buses, cars and people tooted past and I nervously kept my eyes on the path to ensure that I wouldn´t fall or go off the edge.

Briel tells me the sites as we biked were gorgeous.  I do admit I saw some of it, but since eyes were locked on the path... I saw mostly when I was walking.  Sometimes it was all mountain ranges with lush green slopes, other times it was thru thick banana trees or little towns which the people waved happily as we passed.

In any case we arrived safely to our hostel.  We got a separate room haha.  We even got to take a warm shower! wow.  Finsihed by a yummy hudge dinner by the locals.

Ciao for now.

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.