Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Inca Jungle Day 2

PERU | Saturday, 15 March 2008 | Views [765]

We had to trek in mud!

We had to trek in mud!

We woke to banana pancake breakfast and coca tea!  Then it was off for 8 hours of walking thru the mountains and some of the jungle.  The day was pleasant as we walked picking manderines, mangoes, avocados, guava fruits to eat.  YUM.

We learned about the local vegetation, which fruits was good for diabetes, how there are ghosts that come out after 6pm to take revenge on people.  Apparently people should not be walking, driving a taxi after 6pm as there have been local unexplained incidents. scarey....

We saw chickens, turkeys, odd insects along the way.  However we encountered some crazy red ants that bit Briel till he was swollen!  Some of his fingers were so chunky he couldn´t get his wedding ring off - haha good I say.

The ants we couldn´t avoid due to a the heavy rains the night before which caused some mud slides.  Some slides where minor however there was one slide which forced us to trek through knee high mud and small sharp rocks for about 30minutes.  I could barely stand the pain of the rocks beneath my bare feet as the mud made it slippery and difficult to cross.  We had to remove our shoes which still got dirty as sometimes we might slide or fall on our hands.  We used the trees for balance which is where the red ants came into the horrid scene.

Looking back it was great we did it, but I wouldn´t mind never doing that part of the trek again.  Apparently we were special as this was the first time this happened (says Hugo).

We had to take a long sleepy lunch break after where the dog-Tyson took a liking to Briel and he wanted him to scratch his tummy and other bits too... err..

The next exciting part was the big river crossing - which we took by sliding cable!  You jump into this little wooden box attached to the cable and push off!  Half way thru it stops and Briel had to pull us into the shore!  Crazy as you watch the rushing waters below and even more nuts when you see a normal bridge about 50m away.  However Hugo wanted us to have more excitement today. Wasn´t there enough? guess not...!

We then made it to the hot spring near Santa Teresa by nightfall.  It has bright blu natural pools which we couldn´t see as we arrived late due to the mud business.  However we had our hot baths here and soaked up the delicious air and heat.

We arrived to Santa Teresa hungry.  We ate up and fell asleep after tasting the yucki local Mojitos which were just lime juice and some lemonade.  errr

Our room was a nice surprice as the blanket had a picture of cat that looked like Milo!  hmmm nice!

Ciao for now

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.