Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Rosarito - Mexico

MEXICO | Wednesday, 12 December 2007 | Views [896]

Well we got a great tip from Federico that Mexico is just 20 miles away from San Diego.  Talking to a few other friends that we made on long us trips, we found out that you can take the local tram (Trolley) blue line to Tijuana!

So off we went for $3 to the boarder!  Once there no one even looked or asked us any questions - we just walked over the bridge to Mexico casually and then we were in another world!  TJs is faitly busy and a bit crazy.  Known for it's party atmosphere.  However we were on the way to Roasarito!

We walked in TJs for about 10 to locate the "Local Taxi" which takes you to Rosarito (45 min drive) costing --> $1.40 or 14 pesos.  Easy!  There is an offocial bus which cost $17 return, or a private taxi for about $25, or a local bus for 6.50 pesos (65cents).  THe fastest was the local taxi.

So we squished into the local taxi (8 passengers) where we got the craziest ride - we speed down the streets, came to screaching halts to pick up more people or turned corners at lighting speed.  Was everything you hear about and then some.  Was totally worth the experience!

Once In the beach town of Rosarito we hunted around for a hotel.  Although it is not peak season still could get pricey.  We found the "Villa de Lis" Motel for $30 a night (both).  Had cable, balconey to the beach, was on the beach!  was clean.  Was the same standard as those charging $85 a night - so we took it!  Happy Happy Happy!  Since we were getting disappointed by the high prices but low quality of hotels.  However being paitent pays off and we scored.

Then we set out for lunch and loaded up on the yummy pina coladas!  Greatest pina coladas I've ever had.  Yummy!  THey had 2 for ` specials. hehe so you can imagine how loaded we were!

In day times we would spend playing cards, backgammon, drinking up on the beach, while our nights were spent relaxing with the cable tv and more drinks!

Was really quiet relaxing way to spend a few days.  Would recommend it!

Rosarito is known as a party beach town - especially in the spring ans summer time.  Where apparently anything goes... it's all about the crazy parties drinks and fun.  We saw a more relaxed, quiet side which suited us perfectly.  The town was mentioned a tiny, old and dirty, however I found that they tried to maintain the sidewalks, shops.  Everyone was friendly and willing to help.  The charm was that it is a town getting ready to build up with the help of more tourism.

Will be interesting to see this town in 20 years time!

Sorry no photos of Mexico - we decided to leave them all behind so we could relax 100% without having to think about our gear.

Ciao for now!

Tags: Travel Tips

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.