Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Salzburg and Berchtesgaden

AUSTRIA | Sunday, 15 December 2013 | Views [608]

Christmas fair, Salzburg

Christmas fair, Salzburg

Hotel rooms on the Austrian side were hard to come by on the weekend so we stayed at Hotel Big-Koch (no kidding) in Ainring on the German side of the border.  It was only a short train ride from Salzburg on Saturday afternoon then a nice walk from the bahnhof.   The Christmas market in Salzburg dominated the old town and the only way to tell it from Munich's was the food.  More waffles and chocolate, less bratwurst and gluhwein.  Innsbruck was even more low key, probably because it was Sunday and the shops were closed.

gir

    Ridin' high in Salzburg

We have been wandering from Germany to Austria and back without even realizing - or caring - what country we are in.  And just when we thought we had enough holiday cheer we found ourselves at the Berchtesgaden Advent back in Germany.  It had an authentically "homey" feel, almost as if we had intruded upon a gathering of locals.  Everything was calm and friendly, mostly families.  Of course there was abundant eats; baked potatoes and waffles, pretzels and soups and my personal favorite, raclette, melted cheese scooped from the round and ladled onto dark bread.  Oh yeah!

yemm

   Yummy!

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.