Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

The Algarve

PORTUGAL | Sunday, 23 June 2013 | Views [648]

Salema's white sand beaches and cold water, Algarve

Salema's white sand beaches and cold water, Algarve

No one will ever mistake the Algarve for Cape Cod.  Or Almafi.  Except for the T-shirt and surf shops, neither does it resemble the Jersey Shore.  Portugal’s “Riviera” covers nearly 200 km of coastline from the charming sandy beaches of Salema south to the high cliffs of Sagres and around eastward to the lagoons near Faro and Tavera.

s

       The former "End of the World," Sagres

We have been able to wear shorts comfortably for the first time on these first days of summer as we explored the Algarve coast.  The main invasion of tourists is a couple of weeks off and we have found some good deals on apartments along the way – not always on the beach but often with a sea view.  We aren’t really beach people anymore, the water is still way cold and it has been windy.

The restaurants are still empty, too.  I have about had my seafood quota, everything from squid and octopus to grilled sardines – a bit salty but very tasty.  We have spent a bit of time birding but have no new species to add.  Algarve will be a nice way to remember our time in Portugal.  Back to Spain tomorrow.

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.