Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Andalucia Again

SPAIN | Tuesday, 25 June 2013 | Views [569]

High stepping

High stepping

We intentionally skipped some of the sights in Andalucia back in May, saving them for after our visit to Portugal.  And that would be now.  Things have changed in a month.  It is hot and sunny and the once barren fields are filled with bright yellow sunflowers.  And the air is filled with their pollen.  A-a-a-choo!

We have set up housekeeping at the Rota Naval Base, somewhat convenient to the places we want to see.  The Navy Lodge, unlike its Air Force counterpart, does not subsidize lodging but the cost is on a par with local hotels and the facilities are nice.  Besides, we need to visit the clinic to get some prescriptions before we go to Africa.

Our first outing was to the Royal Andalucian School of Equestria Arts in Jerez, where both horses and riders earn advanced degrees.  Competition for entrance is fierce for the 15 bipedal and 120 four-legged co-eds.  (All of the horses are stallions but there are female instructors and students.)  Horses must have impeccable blood lines while the six students must be fluent in Spanish as well has possess outstanding horsemanship skills.  Horses, mostly from the army, enter at 3 years of age and graduate at 20.  The course for humans is only four years.

We watched a practice session as instructors took seasoned riders on young horses and student riders on veteran horses through their paces; dancing, prancing, rearing on hind legs and other feats known only to horse and rider.  Sadly we didn´t have tickets to the full dress performance.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.