Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Any Port in A Storm

PORTUGAL | Wednesday, 5 June 2013 | Views [616]

Terrace vineyards, Doura Valley

Terrace vineyards, Doura Valley

Our hostess, Monica, said we were the first ever Americans to stay at Casa do Brasao – in fact, tonight we were the only occupants. Casa do Brasao is a 17th Century home cum hotel in Tabuaço, complete with many of the original furnishings.  It’s also big on creature comforts, modern plumbing, a canopy bed and even free port wine.  We are in the heart of Portugal’s wine country, home of “port.”  Just as true “champagne” can come only from the Champagne region of France, port is a trademark of the Douro River Valley of Portugal.  The vineyards cling precariously on the terraced slopes, a target rich environment for photographers.

port

    It's the real thing

The French have discovered Portugal.  And the Dutch, you’ll find them nearly everywhere you travel.  Otherwise, Portugal is the least touristed country in Western Europe.  But long before the French – 20,000 years before – our early ancestors lived in the area.  They left behind stone tools and primitive rock carvings of the animals they hunted.  The rock art at Vale do Coa is hardly spectacular to look at – or easy to get to in situ.  It’s better to appreciate it Vila Nova da Foz Coa at the World Heritage museum.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.