Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Guimarães and Porto

PORTUGAL | Friday, 7 June 2013 | Views [662]

Medieval castle, Guimaraes

Medieval castle, Guimaraes

Portugal has a history of exploration from Henry the Navigator to Vasco da Gama and Ferdinand Magellan, fearless men who defined what we know of our planet in the 15th Century.  Our satellite navigator, “Sir Clive,” seems to be intimidated by such august company.  He misses round-abouts regularly and sometimes shows us driving through the wilderness when we are on a new freeway.  I guess its time to see about some updates.

Despite “his” deficiencies, we managed to find the World Heritage town of Guimarães.  Way back in the 12th Century Guimarães became the capital when Afonso I declared Portugal’s independence from Leon.  Today it is a well-preserved architectural joy, just like a WHS should look.

ribiera

    Along the Ribiera, Porto

Finding Porto, (or Oporto) Portugal’s second largest city was much easier.  It straddles the Douro River near its mouth and is still the “port for port.”  Prior to 1970 when the Douro was dammed, small boats called “rabelos” would carry eight barrels of port up to 100 miles from the vineyards to the storage cellars in Porto.  Today the wine arrives by tanker truck and the boats are strictly for tourists.  Porto is a little shop-worn but worth a day or two.  Don’t forget your umbrellas; the weather runs from nasty to atrocious. 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.