Existing Member?

My Travel Journal Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow

Minha experiência de Miranda

BRAZIL | Monday, 13 August 2012 | Views [363]

Highlights:

Randomly stumbling across Daniel, Tracy and “The Pineal Gland” university. I cannot begin to explain the impact this had on my way of thinking. Wisdom was abundant here and I learnt a tremendous amount from Daniel.

 

Lowlights:

Not seeing as much of the Pantanal as we originally wanted to.

 

Places:

Delicias Caseiras: this was a restaurant we would go to in the mornings to eat delicious pastels and drink sucos.

Fizenda San Fransisco: a farm about 2 hours out of Miranda that runs Pantanal tours. We went on a night tour where we managed to see: capybara, owls, alligators, deer, baby jaguar, amongst other animals.

 

People:

Daniel: Wise beyond his years, intelligent in an unconventional sense, truly understands the purpose of life, very giving, kind-hearted, naturalist (always presented himself to nature in the nude),

Tracy: Daniel’s wife, American, studied literature, was writing a book, great cook, very friendly, easy to converse with.

Alan: Indian looking, one-legged, beard, one of the happiest people I have ever met, adrenaline junky (popped a wheelie on his bike with one leg), very friendly, participates in Capoeira, nothing could get him down.

Students: we taught a few of Daniel’s students at the Pineal Gland University. They were very friendly and keen to learn.

Scientista: A crazy guy who was very animated and was always laughing, one day he came to Daniel’s place and was going crazy with a whip, cracking it repeatedly. Daniel also told us of a story of where he shot a gun at the roof in a bank because someone told him it probably didn’t work and why would they give you a gun.

 

Activity:

Taught English classes: we helped Daniel with some of his English classes.

Capoeira class: Alan took us to a Capoeira class, where we observed them in action. Was an awesome sight, especially seeing someone with one leg perform some manoeuvres most 2-legged people can’t.

 

Foods:

Piranha Churasco: the fish hardly needs any spices as the flesh has a great flavour naturally.

Hapidura (unrefined sugar): tastes much like sugar cane, we used this in our coffee instead of refined sugar. It’s apparently much healthier for you.

Granadilla dessert: consisting of cream, granadilla, condensed milk.

Pastel de palmetto: A pastel that contained cheese and palmetto which is like soft, palm tree chunks.

Botauva: also known as Indian chewing gum, this is a fruit that tastes like mango but lasts forever, hence why it is called chewing gum.

 

Drinks:

Sucos(juices):

Acai: juice made out of Acai pulp, to die for!!

Tamarindo: this juice tasted much better than I originally anticipated.

Guiaba: tastes like Guava, but was very faint.

Cupaco: a white juice, had a little bit of a bitter taste, i didn’t like it much.

 

Music:

Gabriel O Pensador : a controversial Brazilian rapper with profound lyrics.

Raul Seixes: a Brazilian rock composer with deep lyrics (in both Portuguese & English).

About suvarn_sastri_naidoo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.