Existing Member?

My Travel Journal Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow

Minha experiência de Missiones Jesuit

BOLIVIA | Sunday, 19 August 2012 | Views [293]

Highlights:

Exploring the Jesuit Circuit away from all tourists and finding out about the culture & customs of these small communities and the history of the Jesuit Missions.

 

Lowlights:

Slept in the Ferroviaria (a train station) in San Jose on a bench, it was very windy and I must admit I was a little apprehensive.

Our bags got completely covered in sand in the trunk of a bus from San Ignacio to Concepcion. We could barely see them amidst all the dirt.

Road block between San Jose & San Rafael, we got stuck for more than 5 hours. Eventually, each passenger of the bus had to pay R10 to the strike coordinators to allow us to pass.

 

Places:

San Jose

San Raphael

Santa Ana

San Ignacio

Concepcion

San Xavier

 

All of these small towns, know as Pueblos, all had a church (most of them have been restored or are in the process of being restored) and a central plaza that contained museums, shops, etc. The people in these small towns were very friendly and the culture was very laid back. Everything shuts down in these towns between 12:00 to 2:00, this is known as Siesta. The churches were all beautiful and unique in their own way. Some of them dating back as far as 200 years ago.

 

People:

Raesa, Katy, Xhelita: a bunch of girls who were working in the tourism office that were very friendly and joined us for a hike in San Jose.

 

 

Activity:

Parade in the street of San Ignacio: a beautiful display of eccentric, colourful garments as they danced to the music played by the instrumentalists that followed.

San Xavier Rally competition: we got their too late, but we managed to see many of the rally supercars, plastered in mud.

Swam in Lagoon in Concepcion

San Raphael: 2 month trip anniversary.

 

Foods:

Emepanadas:  a fried pastry, with a pie-like filling of veggies and meat.

Saltenas: a baked pastry, with a pie-like filling of chicken or mince usually.

Agi – hot chilli, tomato salsa that as used as a relish with your food.

 

Drinks:

Hugo de Guineo: a delicious banana smoothie, the Guineo banana has a slightly different .taste than a conventional banana.

Chicha: a drink made from fermented maize.

Mocochinchi : a drink made with dehydrated peach drink usually served with a little cinnamon.

 

Words:

Rico: delicious

About suvarn_sastri_naidoo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.