Existing Member?

My Travel Journal Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow

Minha experiência de Bonito

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 1 August 2012 | Views [436]

Highlights:

Cycling 44km to Gruta do Lagoa Azul

Inverno Festival

Balneiro Municipal

 

Lowlights:

The Inverno concert was so loud I thought my ear drums were going to blow and Jaoa kept trying to push his way closer and closer to the speakers. The sound was deafening and I had that high pitched ringing sound in my ears for almost 2 days after the concert.

 

Places:

Rio Formosa: we entered this river (illegally) from two different points.

First Point: we cycled about 7km to an entrance to a lagoon under a bridge. I was amazed by the clarity of the water. We swam in the river and Bruno and I decided to jump off the 10m bridge into the lagoon.

Second Point: Gustavo drove us, amongst other backpackers, to a spot. We also swam here, however the bugs got the better of me at this one.

Gruta da Lagoa Azul: we cycled 22km there and 22km back. It was much easier cycling there than cycling back. The cave was spectacular, as we got closer and closer to the lagoon (by walking down a multitude of steps); the bright blue colour of the water became more and more imminent. It was beautiful. We got ripped off on a photo for $R10 but it was a good one, so we decided to get it.

Balneiro Municipal: We cycled about 11km to get there. This river was swarming with fish. I have never seen such a high concentration of fish in one area, granted there were only 3 or 4 species (mostly Piripitanga), nevertheless it was marvellous. We snorkelled down the river stream twice, taking as many photos as we could with Bruno’s underwater camera. We also had a bright spark idea to shove fish-feed into our pockets so the fish would be attracted to us. They indeed were drawn in and frantically attacked us to get the food, haha. We also saw a Macaw here.

Ilha Bonita: we came here with Daniel and Tracy. Daniel didn’t want to swim because he refused to present himself to nature with clothes on (he’s a naturalist). Daniel took pictures of us jumping off the diving board, I did a somersault into the water.

 

People:

Gustavo: long hair, thin, gaunt face, extremely friendly.

Luciano: glasses, walking & lip impediment, very helpful.

Paula & her friend: Spanish girl, were also travelling through South America, could hardly understand them because their words sounded like they were slurring them all together, one was learning to juggle.

 

Activity:

Cycling 44km to Gruta do Lagoa Azul on a bumpy dirt road was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I wanted to shoot myself for suggesting it but it was worth it retrospectively. Eating dust from trucks wasn’t fun though as well as one of my gears breaking on the way back. The reward: a big bowl of Acai tigela and I saved R150 ;)

Saw my first Toucan at Sao Jorge backpackers.

 

Drinks:

Acai suco: we had this for the first time at Balneiro Municipal. It was as amazing as Acai tigella.

Terere: greenish, grinded tea leaves that are put into a metallic cup. You drink it through a metallic straw that acts as a filter. First you put the crushed leaves in and then pour ice water over them and sip from the metallic straw. Usually the first few sips are quite bitter but you usually spit them out..

 

Music:

Inverno festival: This festival was bursting with entertainment and was welcomed by a fairly large crowd. It featured the following artists:

Monoblock: a samba band

Nando Reis: a crazy rock star who had crazy stage presence.

Urapa: A Brazilian artists who uses a mix of reggae, rap & rock in his music.

About suvarn_sastri_naidoo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.