Existing Member?

My Travel Journal Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow

Minha experiência de Belo Horizonte

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 24 July 2012 | Views [555]

Highlights:

Cruizero vs Flamengo match and churrasco preceding match.

Couch surfing meeting: met a lot of cool people.

Indian food at Bhagwan: was blissful after not eating food for over a month.

 

Places:

Parque Inhotim: A contemporary art museum with a variety of strange art. Particularly enjoyed the kaleidoscope, enclosed mirror room, 3D virtual sound room, tree on trees. Some of the art was beyond me, I couldn’t understand why it was even called art.

Sabara: was very similar to Ouro Preto, kind of boring, saw a church decorated with 400kg of gold and a church that was never completed due to the liberation of slaves.

Igreja De São Francisco: A very modern church (with a curvy structure) located right next to the lagoon.

Lagoa da Pampulha: a beautiful lagoon.

Mirante da Praca da Papa : a cross overlooking a spectacular view of the city.

Mineirinho: a soccer stadium, we watched a local game (Cruizero vs. Flamengo) here.

Praca Liberdade: a small, quaint park square.

 

 

People:

Paulo Lessa: Chinese looking, long curly hair, sleeps on anything at any time in any position, party-animal, very helpful in showing us around.

BH Couch Surfing People. 

Gallerie: very peculiar Iranian girl from LA staying with Paulo.

Torcida Cruzeiro: the Cruizero fans were bubbly people passionate about their team and were a lot of fun to be around.

Natalia: Paulo’s cousin, very sweet, took us to Sabara.

Thomas: Norwegian guy, met him at the CS meeting. I spent a day with hi where, he helped me fix my hard drive, gave me some Psytrance and we walked through to Praca Liberdade, I then made mint burgers for him and his fiancé (Polyanna) for supper. We had Haagendaaz with strawberries afterwards and I ended up sleeping over because I got lost and couldn’t find the bus I needed to get back to Paulo’s place. We also spent the next evening together at an Indian restaurant (Bhagwan).

 

Activity:

Cruizero vs. Flamengo match: I am not a soccer fan, but the spirit of the Cruizero fans was addictive and overwhelming. They chanted, they sang, they joked, we all had so much of fun. I may have had one too many beers and got pretty tipsy. The match was as energetic as they come, the fans are die-hard. Cruizero won 1 to 0. I fell asleep at certain parts during the match and almost fell off a railing. Paulo was knocked out from the start of the match till the end.

Crossfit BH: Rowing, sit-ups, bar up.

Played Cuica at Mercado Central: The Cuica is monkey-sounding instrument, and is played with a wet piece of cotton on a stick attached to the inside of a hollow drum.

Drive around Pompella e Lagoa: Paulo took us for a drive around the lagoon, we happened to spot some Capybaras (huge rodents).

Street fighter drinking game: we played this at the first CS meeting, it was hilarious

“Ha” -  force moves in same direction

“Hendo” – blocks and opponent must counter in opposite direction

“Adookin” – Ryu hands together towards anyone

“Shoyukin” – Ryu uppercut towards anyone, opponent must spin around then counter

“Boom” – runs force down both ends of circle.

“Ya ya” – Skips force to the person after the next player

 

 

Foods:

Tutu: it consists of mashed cooked beans, cooked again with seasonings and served as a side dish with meats and rice, fried pork rind, fried eggs, sausage and vegetables.

 Aracaje: is a dish made from peeled black-eyed peas formed into a ball and then deep-fried in dendê (palm oil)

Chicken wings stuffed with chorico at churrasco: this was absolutely delicious.

Bar do Lora: Figado (liver) e Chourico (blood) : my first attempt at blood sausage and I actually enjoyed it.

Bar do Lora : Costelinha e cupim na chapa com molho de queijo minas, batata baby e queijo minas temperado (Rib hump and the plate with cheese sauce, baby potatoes and seasoned cheese). This won bar food of the year 2011 and was delicious.

Frango com Quiabo: a simple dish of stewed chicken with okra

 

 

About suvarn_sastri_naidoo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.