Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Australia – Perth to Sydney – a very long journey from the Indian to the Pacific oceans

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 17 February 2012 | Views [931]

Indian Pacific

Indian Pacific

Australia – Perth to Sydney – a very long journey from the Indian to the Pacific oceans

We rent a car to get around as public transport has never been Perth’s forte. We stay with friends for the first few days and start contacting other friends to organise our get together. We also catch up with family and though the kids are all grown-ups now and have their own kids, it feels like we never left. Quickly our diary fills up for the 2 weeks we are here.  Perth is still very hot and dry in the summer and the sun pierces our skin more than anywhere else in the world.  Also, Perth has the most beautiful violet blue sky and the most fantastic sunsets, unspoiled beaches and parks, not to mention the best restaurants, some amazing people and definitely the most comfortable lifestyle in the world.  Perth has also been experiencing a mining and commodities boom and there is so much money everywhere, it is scary! Oblivious to the boom we go “barbecue hopping” with our family and friends, check out our old favourite restaurants and shop in a way you can only do in Australia, “summer sales style”. Our time in Perth passes in a big haze of BBQ, beer and wine, catching up with our amazing family and friends. We also do a bit of sightseeing, of course, if just to take some pics for you guys.

We decide to take the train to Sydney, the famous “Indian Pacific” train journey across the Nullarbor.  It’s going to be a 3 day trip and we confess, after so much wine and running around trying to see people, we are kind of looking forward to a bit of “us time”, even if in Sydney it all starts again as we have some more wonderful family and friends to catch up with over east. We board the Indian Pacific train and leave Perth at around midday.  The seats are nice and comfortable but there are two old ladies seated just behind us just who won't shut up. Maybe we are not being very patient with other people or maybe they are just a couple of annoying bitches (we'll go with the latter)  We are even considering using our hardcore sleeping pills, the ones we use to get Paul into a plane, to get the ladies under.

For our convenience, the train stops in Kalgoorlie at 10pm and you can either do a tour (yeah, we heard Kalgoorlie is a really fascinating place when everything is closed) or you can wait until the train leaves again at almost 2am to catch some sleep, providing our old lady friends manage to shut up.   Who had this brilliant idea?  The ladies prove to be our worst nightmare talking all the time and kicking our seats every few minutes.  We complain with the train guys (I guess we were not the only ones) and finally they are “offered” a discount upgrade and move into a cabin.  Peace rules again.  The next day is quiet and uneventful besides a stopover in delightful “Cook”.   Yeah, it’s called “irony”. Cook is a ghost town in the middle of nowhere and it is so hot you can’t even breathe, yet another brilliant idea for a stopover.   Who plans this shit?   It is also important to highlight how annoying it is to wake up every morning to some Australian “classic outback tunes”.   Ok, I agree it creates a great outback atmosphere for the tourists on the train but really, at 6.30am?   The night is nice and quiet and the next morning we arrive in Adelaide.  Anyhow, we leave Adelaide the same morning and our next stop is “Broken Hill”.   Broken Hill is actually a cute and interesting place, full of amazing heritage buildings.  It is also the place where BHP, the mining giant, originated.  Yeah, BHP stands for Broken Hill Proprietary, living and learning.  We jump on board again and arrive in Sydney at around 12.30pm with yet another amazing very long journey under our belt (over 4300 kilometres).

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.