Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Philippines - Manila A lot like home ....

PHILIPPINES | Wednesday, 16 November 2011 | Views [1331]

Enjoying some wine and a great chat with our new Filipino friends ...

Enjoying some wine and a great chat with our new Filipino friends ...

Destination – Philippines – Manila – It feels a lot like home…

We get up at 3:30 am and take an Air Asia flight to Clark, near Manila.  From there a 2 hour bus ride to Manila and then a taxi, shared with another Aussie guy, to the Grand Prix hotel, in Ermita. The room is tiny but the hotel is cool, business type but very well located, just a couple of blocks from the bay and a block away from a huge shopping centre. The food is cheap and fantastic, the shopping is really the best ever (apologies Bangkok and Singapore) and Chilean and Spanish wine is under 4 dollars.  A bottle of nice rum for $1.50? Am I in heaven?  Please don’t pinch me…

We met a lovely couple at the airport when we were in Myanmar who are from here, and we’ve been emailing each other for a while.  He is currently away working but on our second night she comes over to have dinner with us. How nice is that? The people here seem to be really nice and cool. The Filipino people of course as most of the tourists are weirdo ancient sexpats.  This time, mostly American, not many Aussies, but still embarrassing for the West.

Ok, if you thought her coming over to have dinner with us was nice, think again. When we go back home, we get an email from her saying, come over on Friday to stay in my condo for the weekend and I will cook Filipino food for you. Insane! So, we take Thursday off to go to the immigration department and extend our visas (travelling is such hard work) and on the Friday we take a taxi and stay over at her place.  We meet her cute little girl, a 3 & ½ year old she adopted when she was just a few days old and two of her nieces and have a wonderful lunch. We cannot believe we are actually eating home cooked local food. In the evening there’s more local home cooked food and we get to meet three of her cool, nice friends. We have a few glasses of red wine and the conversation flows like amongst old friends. Next day we have lechon (roast suckling pig) another wonderful typical dish and some prawns for our lunch. How lucky are we? Another awesome meal proudly sponsored by our lovely instant friend, Mia. In the evening we leave Manila thinking it feels a lot like home. The shopping and sightseeing are on hold til when we get back from the islands. Next stop Boracay - voted by many as the best beach in the world.

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.