Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Myanmar - Bagan - Crazy Stupa Love

MYANMAR | Wednesday, 5 October 2011 | Views [1162]

Destination – Myanmar – Bagan – Crazy Stupa Love

We take a 5 to 7 hour bus ride to Bagan (the roads are atrocious) finally hitting the tourist trail. Ok, our first impressions are much better. Accommodation is better, restaurants are much better and there’s even a bit of infrastructure. It’s cleaner and nicer and the people look a bit happier and much healthier. You can see immediately the difference a little tourism can bring to their lives. Their housing is better, small (really small) businesses sprout from every front doorway, people have scooters (Yangon has to be the only place in South East Asia where you can’t see any scooters on the roads, really weird) all the kids are wearing sandals and even the dogs are chubbier. The streets are still unpaved but we can’t see open sewerage running anywhere. So, we are beginning to see a BIG winning argument for not boycotting independent tourism to this country.

Anyway, we change hotels just to come back to the first one, not perfect but we’ll try to manage. We find a nice place to eat, San Marco Restaurant, and go back there over and over again. We get two full nights and full a day of torrential rain and again catch up on movies and reading. On the third day we resurrect and finally manage to do some sightseeing and we are blown away with the beauty of the largest archeological site in the world. A massive display of thousands of stupas covering a huge area. It’s really amazing and again you can check out our pics.

We hire a car with a driver and get around the whole site and the beauty of this place really dawns on us. We walk around, talk to some very bright kids and buy some trinkets to help a bit. A pretty young woman selling bracelets comes to me and asks me for my lipstick and of course I hand it over to her and get the loveliest smile back. It’s just a used a tube of Nivea lipbalm but no young woman should go without lipstick, not on my watch. A bright little girl speaking pretty good English starts talking to us at another site and starts acting as our tour guide. We let her as she really seems to know everything and is really sweet. When I offer to pay for her “services” she pulls a plastic wallet with some cute little animals she drew and coloured and tells me not to give her money but to buy some of her work, which of course we do. Awesome. Again, we can’t stress enough how nice and sweet the people are in this country. YES, we have yet another unforgettable day. I think Bagan is even more impressive than Angkor Wat, Paul thinks Angkor is better. I guess you have to eventually come and decide for yourself.

 

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.