Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Leaving Nepal - Kathmandu again

NEPAL | Monday, 25 April 2011 | Views [1295]

Near Durbar Square

Near Durbar Square

Destination – Nepal – Pokhara Lake to Kathmandu – could you show us the way out please?

Anyway, after the trekking/meditation experiences, we reconvene and spend our days with long walks, good restaurants and trying to sort out how we are going to get out of Nepal. The catch phrase for this country should be: “Nepal, hard to get in, harder to get out”.

We spent a lot of time talking to travel agents and tour operators and they all seem to have different information in relation to crossing to Tibet and mainland China.   We are starting to go insane and decide to go back to Kathmandu.   The latest information we had is that the group tours (read bunch of folk in a bus) have been cancelled but we can go on a private tour (read just us in a nice 4x4). We confirm this in Kathmandu. So, a private tour it is. We choose a tour operator and start the visa/permit process on a Monday morning, hoping to travel on the Saturday.  We also change hotels to the “Fuji Hotel” where, for only 5 dollars more, we have a generator and much prized electricity from 6 to 11.30PM, what a luxury! 

After a couple of days we change hotels again to “The Sacred Valley Inn”.  It’s just across the road and we even have Wi-Fi in the room.  Kathmandu has suddenly turned into this huge and chaotic waiting room.  We wait anxiously for news about our visa and do a bit of eating and shopping, just for a change. On Thursday, 2 days before we are scheduled to leave for Tibet we finally hear the confirmation that our Tibet permit/China visa has come through, so, we are off to get some supplies for the crossing. Keep on watching this space.

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.