Existing Member?

Paul & Luiza´s World Tour

Brief Interval - a guide on how to pack for a 2 year backpacking holiday

INDIA | Wednesday, 6 April 2011 | Views [634]

Some notes about “smart packing” for long term trips:

My fashionable friend Faith (FFF), who is not only a great personal stylist but also a classy flight attendant with American Airlines, asked me to dedicate a section of the blog to smart packing. Not sure how smart my packing is, but after almost a year on the road, it seems to be working well, so, I’m more than happy to share my packing experience if anyone is interested.

Ok, I have a 75 litre backpack and a day pack. What’s inside them?

A pair of jeans, a pair of runners, a pair of flats (Birkenstock) and a pair of Havaianas. 4 pairs of shorts (2 long and 2 -not too- short).  4 tops with short sleeves; 2 long ones for more conservative countries (they have to cover your bum and your shoulders, mostly in places like the Middle East, some places in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, …) and 2 fitted t-shirts. 6 singlets, 2 LBDs (black dresses, 1 a bit more formal just in case) and 1 printed summer dress. A nice cotton mid-length skirt. 4 bikinis, 1 beach shirt and 2 sarongs. Underwear, 3 pairs of socks and 2 pyjamas. 2 pashminas and a good collection of scarves to help change your looks, for the days when you can’t stand the same clothes anymore.  Sunscreen, lip balm and toiletries (remember, everything can be replaced and bought on the road, no stress or overpacking needed). 1 travel microfibre towel (better to have it and never use it than to need it and not have it). A medicine/first aid kit (again, better to have it…). Sunglasses, a hat for beach and trekking. 1 cardigan or jumper (together with your pashmina it will keep you warm). 1 very light “Ali Baba or Sarouel” (I guess cotton pants will do too) for long train, car or bus trips. It’s not the most flattering piece in your bag but it is very comfortable and very appropriate for “public sleeping”. 1 very light long-sleeved buttoned cotton shirt (a top will do) for visiting temples, mosques, monasteries and churches in hot weather places. 2 necklaces and 2 rings or whatever jewelry you like, for when you need to feel like a woman. 1 tiny pack with nail clipper, nail file, clear polish, small bottle of polish remover or whatever. 2 books to swap, 1 I-Pod, 1 laptop, 2 pens and 1 notepad, 1 camera and 1 small, light torchlight, 1 pouch for passport, bank cards, extra cash, extra passport sized photos for visas.

General tips:

-  Always pack only what you can carry, you never know what the conditions of your trip are going to be and it’s scary to have to rely on other people to carry it when they are not there;

-  Laundry services are available everywhere. It’s better to wash your clothes regularly than pack more than you can carry;

-          You can buy whatever you need for specific places, too hot, too cold, rainy, so you don’t have to carry too much unnecessarily. Dump it at the hotel room before you leave;

-          You can replace anything as it starts to look shabby. Please do! You really don’t want to look like a cheap backpacker, do you? Not at our age anyway. I’ve just replaced 3 of my singlets in Delhi and left the old, shabby ones behind. Thanking the universe for Zara and H & M;

-          Golden tip: always carry a toilet paper roll in your day pack, again, so much better to have it…

-          Don’t be sorry for leaving things behind as you don’t need them anymore. I’m sure I’ve made some hotel housekeeping ladies very happy indeed. It’s good for your backpack and for your karma;

-          If you find yourself carrying something you like but are not wearing/using on the road, post it home along with your souvenirs. We’ve done it several times with clothes we like too much to dump.

About pauluiza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.